Sunday, July 11, 2010

@ Home with Claudine - Week 2

Hi all!

Well, I had good intentions to do more posts this week - the good news is that I did have time to MAKE lots of things - just not enough time after that to actually post them... so.... here we go...

We're now into Week 2 of the @Home with Claudine class and the techniques just keep on coming!  This week we learned three new techniques.  The first is called Watermark Resist.  We started with a page from our technique recipe book that had been painted entirely with sky blue paint.  Then we inked up a big stamp with watermark resist ink (I have read that MANY people in the class tried to use Versamark for this technique and it DID NOT work well, or did not work at all.  The recommended ink was Ranger's Watermark Ink - I didn't have that exact one, but I used my Perfect Medium ink - also from Ranger, and it worked really well.)  That said, it's important to really get the stamp inked VERY well - "juicy" was the term used - don't be shy!  So, stamp the watermarked stamp onto the blue background, and then paint over it with a very watered down black paint - VOILA!  RESIST!  I love the way the watermark image looks like it's glowing.  Lots of possibilities for this!


The second technique we learned was called Watermark Resist - Peeled Paint.  In this technique, you use the same watermark resist ink pad and swipe the corner of the pad directly onto a surface that had been primed with red paint.   Swipe the pad randomly over the surface, being careful not to cover the entire surface - just parts of it.  Then we painted over that with a very watered down pink paint.  The resist areas appear to be bubbly / cracked.  I'm not sure mine turned out as "peeled-paint-ish" as it was supposed to, but it's still a cool effect!


Lastly, the third technique was using Claudine's paint plus her Extra Time Medium to stamp onto her Sticky Back Canvas.  We started by combining a small dab of teal paint with a dab of the extra time medium (approx. 3 times larger than the small dab of teal paint).  We used a small brayer to combine the two together, and then used the brayer to apply the paint to a rubber stamp.  I've been really loving my TH flourish stamp and using it A LOT - it's definitely the current favorite...  Here's the result - so crisp and clean - loving this!


The mini project for this week was combining the watermark resist and paint stamping techniques.  Here's what I came up with:


I cut some grungeboard using the Baroque die from TH Alternations, covered it with a text page from TH paper stack, did the watermark resist over top the text paper (flourish stamp again!), and painted over with teal paint.  Then I did the paint/extra time stamping on Claudine's sticky back canvas and ran it through the TH flower die.  Added some metal accents from TH idea-ology to finish it off.  The project in the class was for a card, but I decided to turn mine into a wall hanging - added some TH chain to the TH clip at the top.

Well, as you can see I've had a FUN week!  I just finished my tags for the Everything Wendy Vecchi tag swap so I'll be posting that soon - enjoy your Sunday and do something creative!

~ ellen.

3 comments:

Hels Sheridan said...

All totally gorgeous pieces... I wish I had joined that online class now!!! Thanks for linking up with the Sunday stamper x

Deb said...

I love the project you've created, and how you combined the techniques. Nice job!

Connie said...

Love all three projects. Which one are you teaching me?