Monday, August 2, 2010

CCC / Lots To Do - Take Time to Smell the Flowers

Hi all,

I know I shouldn't have, but I was so inspired to make this piece and it applied perfectly to TWO challenges, so I'm taking the two-for-one deal... hope you'll forgive me....

This week over on Linda's blog, we're up to week 8 on the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge!  This week, you'll turn to p. 39 in Tim's book to learn about inking grunge.  If you're interested in learning all about Tim Holtz' products and get some great ideas on how to use them - go check out Tim's site HERE (and if you buy the book from him he'll even sign it for you!).  I had some extra tattered florals in grungepaper that worked perfectly for this technique.

On the Lots To Do Challenge, this week's theme is "The Scenic Route".... I used the sentiment to make this point, and it's something we all should remember to do.

Here's my dual-purpose creation:


The green background is a sheet of paper from the Old World stack, glued to a 4x4 coaster using multi medium.  Then I glued that piece to the BACK of a fragment (the biggest one that I never knew what to do with --- LOVE finding uses for things I've had forever but never used) - I used glossy accents for this part.  The layered flower, the DYMO sentiment, and the altered metal flower are all glued to the TOP of the fragment using glossy accents. 

Here's a close up of the layered flower - I sprayed each layer front and back with Glimmer Mist (pearl) before assembling.


Hope your week is off to a good start!  I have a few more things to share this week, before heading here on Thursday!


See you soon!

Hugs,

~ ellen

14 comments:

Lori said...

Awesome Ellen! Just love the flower, and brilliant to mount it on the back of that humungo fragment, now... where did I put that fragment? lol

CuddlyBunny said...

WOAH! This is AWESOME! Love the background, sentiment and especially your handmade, layered flower! Yowza! Gorgeous!

Helen said...

great flower, looks fab on that background.

Jaqi said...

Fab flower, looks absolutely gorgeous, the colours you have used are stunning

Sherry Goodloe said...

Nice way to use that HUGE Fragment *smiles*

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Grunge necklace!

Linda Ledbetter said...

Ellen, this is spectacular! What a great way to use the grungeboard and fragment together. The background is lovely, and your big, beautiful flower is a superstar! The glimmer mist adds just the right "oomph!"

Sounds like you have a wonderful week ahead! Enjoy!

Kathy Eddy said...

Wow, this is fabulous!

Terry said...

How clever!! Love the flower on the fragment and your colors are stunning!

crafty creations said...

A stunning piece of artwork - that flower is beautiful

Thanks for sharing with the Lotstodo Challenge xx Hilda

Netty said...

Fantastic flower, love it. Annette x

Zoechaos said...

Beautiful flower love the reminder thank you for sharing with us at LTD this week. xx Zoe

Barbara Mason said...

What a great flower- makes me want to put it in my hair...lol

Lena said...

Hey there! Love your use of coasters - the flower is just perfect too!

Nan said...

Love your flower and the inspiration to use the giant fragment! Have a good week!