Sunday, August 29, 2010

Hotsie Swapsie

(***Seeeeee???? I did it too!!! That play on words thing.... figured I better come up with something clever since Hels was so tricky with the title for her blog post**) 

If you've been following along, you'll know that I just participated in my first *swapsie* with the fabulously talented, wonderfully waffling, gorgeously grungeful, and equally as slightly bat sh*t CRAZY *Hels Sheridan*. 


For those of you who have ever wanted to leave a comment on someone's blog, but you weren't sure it was quite appropriate, or didn't want to seem presumptuous... take a lesson from me and DO IT.  This swap came to be when I noticed that Hels was asking around the Everything Wendy Vecchi Yahoo Group to see if people in the UK wanted to do a swap.  I had been admiring Hels' work for months and was so wishing I lived in the UK so I could participate in a swap with her.... so I sent her an email saying just that!  Well, next thing you know, I got an email back from HER! saying, and I quote, "I'm up for a swapsie if you fancy!"  YAY!!   Sign me up!!!

So, we decided to do a three-for-three tag swap, using the style of either Tim Holtz or Wendy Vecchi.  You saw the incredible creations that Hels made for me yesterday, so I thought I would share the things I made for Hels here, too.

First up was my "Wendy" tag.... I was lucky enough to grab some of her brand new stamps before they hit the stores, so I definitely wanted to use them!  This tag uses the new layers of script flowers which are just DIVINE.  Cut them out of grungepaper and inked them up with DI - same approach for the stem and leaves.  Used two of Wendy's new background stamps and used one of Tim's die cuts for the ribbon/label across the bottom.  The bingo chip in the middle of the flower is by Maya Road.


Second up was my "Tim" tag...


Can't get enough of the bird-cage die cut from Tim's Alterations line with Sizzix.  I wanted the cage to look like old rusty metal so I sprinkled it with several different colors of distress embossing powder (walnut brown, vintage photo, peeled paint and antique linen), added some small brads to the bottom and smashed them to look like rivets.  Linked several jump rings together to make a chain, hung it from the trinket pin.  Background was a combo of script and floral stamps, then painted a thick layer of rock candy crackle paint down one side.  Added the "Soar" ticket with a memo pin - VOILA!

Now, because I have been spending my summer with Claudine Hellmuth, taking her 12-week online class, I've been sort of obssessed with paint, so I added a Claudine tag as well (with Hels' consent, since it's not what we agreed to...)


I used the faux batik technique - stamping the flower stamp in gesso on sticky back canvas, and then painted a layer of watered down paints over the gesso.  I love this look!  Then I spritzed the whole tag with Pearl glimmer mist, and added some pearl accents with Viva's pearl pen.  Added the scallop edge at the bottom and hung type charms spelling out Hels' name, along with the "laugh" and "love" charms.  (*little did I know that Hels would also use type charms with my initials on one of the tags she made for me!   we've decided we must be long-lost sisters*)  Used this jewelry finding to hang the tag from.


I also had to throw in a little extra for her, so I sent her some foam stamps that I made using Craft Foam sheets and Tim Holtz Alterations dies!  Easy... and instant foam stamps!  (*sorry I don't have a pic of them yet, and my camera battery just died!!! drat the timing!*)

We've been emailing like mad ever since, and having a ball.  We are all so lucky to be part of such a fabulous community of crafters.  If you want to get more involved - leave comments, start your own blog, and if you want to do a swap with someone - GO FOR IT!  I was so nervous to ask Hels because I think her work is just so wonderful (so I was a little intimidated!), but it was the best thing I could have done because now I have a great new friend, too!

Looking forward to another week!  New challenges coming, another class with Claudine... life is good.

See you soon!

Hugs,

~ ellen.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Just love your tags, Ellen. Been looking at Hels' blog with the details for her tags to you. These are gorgeous. Love those new Wendy stamps, can't wait to get hold of some. Cos I don't have many stamps. ahem. coughs, blatent lie..... hey, meant to say, I haven't got enough stamps!!!

Hels Sheridan said...

AW... Ellen... you are such a sweetie and so very kind... (the cheque's in the post LMAO)
I loved every minute of doin our swap... and oi you! stop putting yourself down.. your art is A~MAZ~ING!!! So there!
I am so happy that you mailed me that day... I now have a lovely new friend who is as mad as me LOL
Hugs hunny xxx

Lori said...

Ellen, these were just over the top fab! Really great pieces of art! Love them all!