Thursday, August 19, 2010

Simon Says Stamp & Show - THE Wendy Vecchi!!!

Hi everyone!

I haven't been able to join in with this incredible new challenge site yet, but I'm so excited about it!  It's called the Simon Says Stamp & Show blog challenge.  It focuses on vintage style products and techniques (aka Wendy Vecchi & Tim Holtz, Graphic 45, etc.), which is right up my alley!  If you want to check it out, go to their website HERE

This week's theme is to use stamps by none other than THE fabulous, THE "she loves to make art" artist, THE Wendy Vecchi!  If you're not familiar with her stamping/creating/art, PLEASE do yourself a favor and go check out her Studio 490 blog HERE.  I just love her style!  All the stamps used in this tag are available from Simon Says Stamp.


I really wanted to "rock" this challenge, because I just LOVE Wendy's style.  I started by creating a mottled distressed background with distress inks.

Then I stamped the background of the tag with stamps from Wendy's "Be Happy Make Art" and "She Created Art" sets.  I am in LOVE with the random circles stamp.  Then I used the face stamp from the "It's Face Art" stamp set.  Stamped the face onto grungepaper and tinted the skin tones using my ink blending tool and Stampin' Up's Almost Apricot ink pad - it's a good flesh tone.  Used a water brush to color the eyes & lips, and went over them with glossy accents to give them a shiny finish.  Added the faux tear drop using the mini alphabet stamp from the "Art Inspiration" set. (*must admit, I stole this idea directly from THE Wendy Vecchi - well, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, right?*)  I stamped the hat portion of the face stamp onto grungeboard two more times, and cut out the entire hat from one stamped image, and just the hat band from the other.  Inked with peeled paint (whole hat) and barn door (just the hatband) DI.  Then glued those layers over top of the main piece - it's a great way to add distinct lines of color - don't have to worry about coloring outside the lines.... :)


Added a mini crown from Maya Road, painted with the Silver paint dabber. Added the mini grunge butterfly covered with Tim's tissue tape and inked with DI.

The sentiment is also from the "It's Face Art" set.

AND, my most favorite part of this piece is the TH mini metal crown that I added over the eye, to look like EYELASHES!  Love it!


But my *other* favorite part of this tag, other than the fact that it is upside-down, is the curio knob at the bottom.  I don't know what made me even consider this, but I LOVE the way it turned out.  It doesn't really make any meaningful addition to the piece, other than the fact that it just looks COOL.  (and that's all that really matters, right!?).


Wow, this has been a much more long-winded (*waffling* - nod to Hels... ) post than I intended, but I really enjoyed making it, and I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  Hope you like it, too!

Next up on the "to do" list is this week's installment of my on-line class with Claudine Hellmuth.  We've finished learning all our technique recipes and are now getting started with our projects!  This week will be a canvas sampler --- tune in this weekend to check it out --- will take a few days to do this one!

Be well until then!  Thanks for stopping by!  (If you've actually read all the way to this point.....) LOL.

Hugs,

~ ellen

10 comments:

Lori said...

Awesome, Ellen! Another awesome piece, and how great is that crown and curio knob? Just brilliant! Don't cha love it when you think of those things??? lol! Thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

wendy vecchi said...

the crown for lashes is pure genius!
love it! too cool!

Hels Sheridan said...

I agree with the lady who commented above me (corrrr.... THE Wendy Vecchi!!!!!!!!) Those eyelashes are true genius Ellen... TOTALLY love this piece... and... you won that Freddie ATC on my blog! Thanks for your comment hun :O)) Please can you mail me your addy and I will pop him (I mean it) into the post for you xx

Nancy Wethington said...

Love your tag and that crown on her eye - OMG! It would have taken me years to *maybe* come up with that ne. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

Nancy said...

This is BEAUTIFUL, Ellen!! All of the little extras - how very cool!!!
Thank you for joining us for this week’s Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge! Hope you continue to do so...

Dan said...

What a wonderful piece of work, and to my eye, very "Wendy"! :) The Design Team are really pleased that you joined us for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week- Thank you!

Nan said...

Wowzer...this is my favorite tag of the week. How creative are you???? Love the crown eyelash and thanks for telling us how you did this. I don't have any Wendy V stamps but now I think I will have to have a few along side my TH sets!

Julie Forest said...

Ellen, this is amazingly creative!! I love the brilliant colors and all the fabulously unique details on this piece! Gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Terry said...

Fantastic tag! Love the layout and the crown over the eye is brilliant!

LynneForsythe said...

WOWZEROONIE....GIRL! and I'm loving the "eye"lash!!!

thanks bunches for playing along with the Design Teamies and Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!!!