Monday, September 6, 2010

CCC - Grungepaper Flowers

Hi fellow art-peeps!

Time for another fabulous week of lovely Linda's Compendium of Curiosities Challenge (CCC) --- this week we're on page 65 of Tim's book.  As usual, if you're interested in learning more about this great technique, go check out Tim's website HERE.

I decided to use a different style of flower (*what's that I said?.... a NON- Tim flower??? Yes, it's true!*) I used a template I got from Claudine Hellmuth during her on-line class.  It's whimsical, hand-drawn and perfectly over-sized - love it. 

As you've noticed lately, I've been obsessed with paint, and the love-affair continues this week... I started with a piece of watercolor paper and blended Claudine's painterly pink, dash of red, and classic teal (which blended with the pink to make an awesome purple!)  Added TONS of water and let the paint drip and go wherever it wanted - yummo.... :)  Then after I dried the paper, there were lots of little droplets of leftover watery paint left on my craft sheet so I just did a light pressing - same technique we use with tags & distress inks all the time - works with paint too!!! 

Then used a glimmer screen as a mask and inked chipped sapphire DI over the screen to creative a negative image - loving this look.  Repeated again with the same screen.  Then dipped the cap from the glimmer mist in gesso and stamped the circles as a border/frame.

Made the grunge flower according to the book and ran it through the c'bug in the swirls texture fade folder - hand cut the leaves.  The stem of the flower is craft wire with different colors of green wrapped around the base wire, and some copper wire wrapped loosely around that. Attached the stem at the base with the tiny attacher.


Assembled the layers of the flower with foam tape in between the layers for extra dimension and added one of Tim's buttons as the center.


Found this great quote on the web, printed it out, cut it up, and glued it down (not rocket science... but I like the look).


I'm having such a great time combining techniques - paint + grunge + inks + sprays + stamping + wire + collage = FUN FUN FUN!!  I can barely drag myself off to work these days - I just wanna stay home and PLAY!   But, I must remember... they do pay me to work... which enables me to continue with my various and ever-expanding crafting obsessions.... so I guess I better keep going, right???  (*better start buying lottery tickets is more like it... LOL!*)

Hope you all had a happy & safe Labor Day Holiday!  See you later this week!

Hugs,

~ ellen.

10 comments:

Karla Anderson said...

Love the bright cheeriness of this project. great job!

Judy Wood said...

great colors! thanks for sharing!

craftytrog said...

thats one fabulous flower ellen! love your painty bg & the gorgeous colours!
alison x

Lynn Stevens said...

very creative and colorful!

Helen said...

Gorgeous colours, love the background too.

Hels Sheridan said...

GORGEOUS, LUSH, LOVERLY... fabbylicious piece Ellen... I love that stalk... inspired!!! Hugs hun x

Linda Ledbetter said...

I absolutely LOVE this, Ellen! What a fun, happy and gorgeous card! Those colors are great, and the design and sentiment couldn't be more wonderful. I've been obsessed with paint since about Week 2 of Claudine's class, and I just adore that flower template. It's such a sweet, retro look, and I'm so happy to see it used with the grungpaper technique. OH, and the negative image effect on the background is COOL! Great job, girlfriend!

Toni said...

What fun this is... so vibrant and colorful... Darling flower die cut also... love how you made the stem... Great job !!!!

minnie_mac said...

Love this. The colours are so striking and cheerful.

Marilyn

Terry said...

This is very cool! Love the colors and your flower is awesome!