Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sunday Stamper - All Kinds of Everything!

Hi everyone!

I didn't quite get to last week's Sunday Stamper challenge, so I wanted to get mine in SUPER early this week!  This week the lovely Hels' theme is - All Kinds of Everything!  In my case, I combined lots of different techniques and products into one project.  I spent some time this weekend exploring Donna Downey's blog, specifically her art *inspiration journal* pages, and I was completely blown away and totally inspired to try a project in this style.  I'm sneaking up on the decision to start an art journal of my own - I like the idea of "playing" regularly, going with whatever mood strikes, rather than trying to fit my mood into whatever challenge I'm working on that week.  I'll keep you posted....

Here's my first *inspiration* style page:


Started with a sheet of drawing paper, cut down to about 5 1/2" x 6 1/2".  Used watercolor crayons on the entire background, with a night time sunset sky in mind.  Used dark blue, purple, orange and yellow.  Then dipped a paintbrush in LOTS of water and starting blending away!  FUN!    Added the Stampscapes stamps at the bottom.  I've had these stamps for years and haven't used them in a LONG time - they're awesome!  Click HERE to check them out!

Added some grungeboard shapes - wings, heart and stars.  Painted the stars with pearl paint dabber and added diamond stickles over top.  Painted heart with red pepper paint dabber, and the wings with pearl paint dabber (with dry-brushed black streaks over top). 


Still needed some "oomph" so I splattered watered down white paint all over the piece (*and most of my desk, I might add*).  Liked that look, but decided to go over each "speck" with a VIVA pearl pen, creating some shimmer and dimension to the "starry sky" look.  Then framed the entire piece with the VIVA black pearl pen - never used this one until today - LOVING IT.  Great dimension!


Added the "Reach for the stars" *inspiration*.... then matted the piece on a piece of red chipboard with the trim painted red, then mounted that on a brown paper bag primed with gesso and edges trimmed with pinking shears, then the whole thing on black cardstock.  Added the twisty wire hanging with brads.

Hope you enjoyed playing along with me - thanks as always for stopping by! 

Hugs,

~ ellen.

9 comments:

Donnadowney said...

You Ellen my friend are an incredibly talented lady. Thank you much for sharing your blog link with me.

Lori said...

Love it Ellen! Love the combo of the Stampscapes with the heart/wings, very cool! I love Stampscapes, but never would have thought to combine them with other elements in this way, but I totally love it! Great idea!

Marijane said...

What an amazingly colorful "inspiration page" you've created. The elements used are so unusual together, yet they work well. The color combination is inspirational in itself! Love it.

Helen said...

Great art, Ellen. Stampscapes, now you've got me thinking!!

Hels Sheridan said...

OH WOWWWWWW Ellen, I want to go and sit on the edge of those rocks and have a bonfire burning to keep me warm and watch the stars .. truly STUNNING piece of art hun.. thanks for joinin in and... am imagining you covered in white speckles now.. like a little speckled egg LOL xx

Sue West said...

This is so lovely Ellen, it's got a brilliant 'makes you feel good' thing going.
Sue

Rosie said...

Brilliant piece of art Helen! Go for it - do start and art journal - I have 3 or 4 on the go! It's such fun and very liberating too!

Rosie said...

Sorry Elle, I got your name muddled with Helen's... my bad!

Connie said...

You do such nice work Ellen. Miss seeing and playing with you.
Love ya