Sunday, October 3, 2010

Art Journal - Oct 02 2010 / SSSS Distressed

Hi everyone!

This week's theme on the Simon Says Stamp & Show challenge is to do a project that is Distressed or Sanded.  I went with the *distressed* portion of the theme (and it may be a bit of a stretch, but.... well here we are anyway...)


I've been having a *ball* with my art journal - I think the thing I like best is that there are NO RULES.  I've been wanting to play with Tim's new Rosette Die (available HERE), so started by running it thru the c'bug using some of Tim's paper stash.  I learned (the hard way) to pay attention to the scalloped edge... you'll notice that in one of the rosettes the scalloped edge is facing out (the way it should be), and in the other one the scalloped edge is hidden by the center of the rosette.... looks OK either way, but I do like the scalloped edge better.  Live & Learn ---- the very definition of the *art journal* (for me anyway)...


The background was painted over a coat of gesso with yellow ochre paint by Golden (available HERE).  Then I added a scroll/swirl border with India Ink and a nib-pen.   I was having trouble figuring out what to do for stems/leaves.... I originally drew them in by hand using the nib-pen.... *HATED* that look.... another "live & learn" moment... 


.... so I decided to use this new metallic/mesh ribbon (I think I got it from Michael's) instead.  I twisted the ribbon into a stem and attached it with the tiny attacher.  Cut some leaves from the same ribbon and adhered those with Helmar Quick Dry 450 (HERE).  Added the same mesh ribbon to the flower centers. 

Main lesson learned from this page.... you can try something on a page, hate it, and end up doing something totally different that saves the day.  Moral:  just try it... if it doesn't work out, try something different! 

Hope you had a great weekend - see you soon!

Hugs,

~ ellen.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Love this, Ellen!! I've been waiting for my LSS to get the Rosette die in ... may have to go shopping elsewhere 'cause I really want it! ;o)

I have SO got to get back to my art journaling. It was one of my goals for this weekend ... hmmm...didn't quite make it ... *sigh*

Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp & Show challenge blog!

Helen said...

Loving this. The rosette die is fab. May have to get one.

Hels Sheridan said...

GORGOEUS page hun... I so need to get my fat butt in gear and get on with my Book of Hels!!! Loving the rosettes... scalloped edges? Erm... can't say I noticed ROFL xx

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Nice rosettes!! I am dying to play with that die
(haha no pun intended!)!!!

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!

-Sarah