Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Hands of Time

Hi everyone,

It has been several weeks since I played in my art journal and I got the "itch" to play last night.  I had been watching Donna Downey's Inspiration Wednesday video for this week, where she did a painted stamp resist.  I liked the idea of a resist, but she also challenged us to use a stamp we've been hiding away for that perfect project.... I've had this Tim Holtz "hand" stamp for about a year.... definitely time to use it!  It evolved into a masking project.... Here's what I ended up with....


I started by stamping the alphabet background (Wendy Vecchi-Studio 490) , available HERE, on the right side of the page in black archival ink.  Then used the TH sprocket/gear masks to .... well.... MASK  over the background.  Then used pumice stone, vintage photo, walnut stain and black soot distress inks to blend over the masked sections, leaving the white background behind.  Added some idea-ology timepieces & sprockets and game spinners.


On the left hand side, I didn't have a mask for the hand stamp, (Tim Holtz cling mount set #83) so I made my own... stamping the image on the white background, then stamping the image again on a scrap of paper, cutting the image out and placing it over the image on the page with temporary adhesive.  Stamped another Studio 490 background image over the masked hand, then used the distress inks to blend all the colors together.  Removed the mask to reveal the hand with the white background.


Wrote the "Hands of Time" message in white India Ink, available HERE.  Had to go over it several times to get the white to *pop* --- (*note to self - use a spray fixative over distress ink before using white ink over top.... the distress inks bleed.... reactive with water and all... like we've heard Tim, and Wendy, and Jennifer, etc. etc.  say a *million* times.... DUH*).

Added some tissue tape, and some white gesso circle stamps (lid of a mini mister.... perfect....). 

I'm happy with how it turned out - and was grateful for the inspiration to finally USE that stamp! 

Have a great day!

~ ellen.

7 comments:

Lori said...

This is awesome, Ellen, just awesome. Pure masking genius, I tell you. Love everything about it, and you've really got the knack of the journal thing!

Helen said...

Truly amazing, Ellen!! Don't know what else to say....!

Jennie said...

what a fab piece :)))

Hels Sheridan said...

Absolutely... DROP DEAD... GORGEOUSLY DIVINE!!!!!!

Cannot WAIT to see this hun.. hands of time.. what a fab title!

Just think, this time next week you will be thru Customs and I will be standing there waiting for you and then... we have a WHOLE week to play!!! AM peeing my pants excited hun xxx

The Scrappy Tree said...

Ooh, this is fantastic! The masking gives a great effect :)

Gayle xx

Linda Ledbetter said...

Wow. Ellen, this is brilliant! I love how you use the combination of masked images and the white ink and hand-- the contrast is great and really striking! I've never made an art journal, and I"m really inspired seeing the coolness you're creating here.

Holy cow, you're almost in England!!! I'm so excited for you, girl!

Jana said...

Love all the details. And all the different textures and layers. It came together beautifully. Wonderful page.