Friday, December 10, 2010

Tim Holtz 12 Tags - Day 10

I'm back!

I'm on a roll, staying on task with Tim Holtz' 12 Tags of Christmas, at least with the current day's tag, even though I still have 5 days left to make up.... I'll get there.... Here's my tag from Day 10...


I stuck pretty much to Tim's process this time... the only thing I did differently was the ribbon/scarf.  I've run out of the trimmings ribbon, and I remembered the technique from last year's snowman (Tag #1 last year), creating wired ribbon, so though I'd try that again.  I love the technique because it allows the scarf to look like it's blowing in the wind and adds some dimension.


The technique is super easy... just take a length of ribbon - twice the length you think you'll need.  Then add a strip of tacky tape (you know, the kind with the orange backing) and run it down 1/2 the length of the ribbon.  Remove the orange backing to expose the other sticky side.  Then take a thin gauge craft wire and place it directly into the tacky tape.  Fold the other 1/2 of the ribbon over the sticky side to make a wire/ribbon sandwich... presto!  Wired ribbon!


I love the look of the embossed acetate over the tag - my embossing doesn't show up too well in these photos, and didn't turn out quite as pronounced as in Tim's example, but I really like the idea of a clear overlay.  Will be trying that again for sure.

I'll be back later with another tag.... have a great evening!

~ ellen.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Ooo, thanks for the reminder about the wired ribbon. This turned out great, and you couldn't see my embossing that much either, I probably should have used thicker plastic or another shim in the ole Big Kick.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.