Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Curious Scribbling from Yesteryear

Hello all ~

(*Warning... this is a monster post!  Not for the faint of heart...*)

I've been a busy little bee working (playing) away in my studio this week!  Mostly I've been working on an altered book, which I posted earlier today if you want to check it out.

But today, I thought I would do a quick tag for the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge!  This week's technique is called scribble stain.  What started out as a quick tag exploded into a major project!  PLUS, it's also a good fit for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge, which I actually already entered, but.... who says you can't enter twice.... Here's what happened....

I opened up Tim's book to page 43 and made my first attempt at this technique.... OOPS, went a little heavy with the scribbling... let's try again.... 2nd attempt not much better than the first, so... third time a charm??? Yep!  But then something funny happened.... when I put all three tags next to each other I thought, "Hey, they look sort of cool together!" So I spent some time trying to figure out how to attach them .... and that idea evolved into this....


I think I used products from practically every major line I own!  The base is corrugated cardboard, painted with a combination of Golden's Yellow Ochre, Ranger's Willow, and Ranger's Mushroom paints, then added black paint to the raised parts using my fingertips.

I ran the tags thru the C'bug using a border folder that looks like rivets, sanded the raised parts and added Vintage Photo distress ink, and then added idea-ology snaps to accent.  This photo shows the scribble stain part of the project, which is the reason it began!


I stamped Tim's script background on all three tags, and added Maya Road's foundation frames to each tag, inking them with distress ink and then stamping Studio 490 background stamps on the frames and the centers.  Then stamped the phrases into the centers (this was one big stamp that I broke up by inking only the part needed for each frame (an exercise in careful masking and even more carefully wiping away the ink that landed where it wasn't supposed to be...).  Also spritzed all three tags with Heirloom Gold perfect pearl mist.


I just bought these Rusty Tin Stars last week, and they added that perfect vintage touch to this project.

I got these cool vintage skeleton keys in my Christmas stocking!  They are from an old paper mill where the antique store is now located!

Keys are attached to the cardboard with antique gold wire
The final elements were the mini canvases, which I smooshed Viva Terra (Sahara) all over, then dabbed with my finger to get the textured finish.  Then stamped into the Terra with the open sequin waste stamp from The Artistic Stamper.  Heat dried to get some additional texture, and then added distress ink in forest moss and brushed corduroy to give it an aged look.  Then added patina stickles over that to give some sparkle.
Added a grungeboard keyhole, with vintage photo distress embossing powder to give a rusted look, and a metal corner.
Added idea-ology timepiece, gears, game spinner, and metal corner.
This project just goes to show.... you never know where you might end up when you start a project!  This was supposed to be a quickie tag so I could make the deadline for the challenge!  Phew!  It took the better part of a whole day in the end, but I'm SO glad I stuck with it because I love how it turned out!  No preconceived notions - just pure play.  Perfect!

Hope you've managed to hang in there through this ginormous post!  Congrats!  You made it to the end!

TTFN!

~ ellen xxx

10 comments:

Lori said...

OMG! This is totally awesome! I love all the texture and little different elements you've added! Total fun! And thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge! (again, lol!)

Kathy Eddy said...

Oh this is simply gorgie! I love all the texture and interest in it.

Nancy said...

This is VERY cool!!!

donna said...

Wow. What a great way to start the year! I love what you have created. There is so much to look at. The scribble stain background is wonderful.

Helen said...

Looks fabulous - and just goes to show, never reject anything!!

Hels Sheridan said...

Oh no no, this will not do at all hun, in fact, I think you should send this straight to me to look after... ROFLMAO Seriously though, it is... CHUFFING GORGEOUS!!!! I love the idea that you started out making a tag and ended up with this beauty.. that is what making stuff is all about... following your creative imagination and letting the art flow thru your fingers... FAB FAB and even more FAB!!! Hugs hun.. TTYS xx

minnie_mac said...

I love the fact that you started out to do one small tag, and just kept going to make this gorgeous piece. Brilliant !

Marilyn

Linda Elbourne said...

This is a beauty Ellen ... LOVE all the detail ... Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show this week ... twice ... Happy New Year X

Linda Ledbetter said...

You're not kidding-- those tags look AMAZING together, Ellen! What a gorgeous work of art you've created here, The scribble stain is beautiful, and wow, what you've done with it! The sentiment is beautiful and the embellishments are, in a word, AWESOME! I love all the texture and shine.

I'm so grateful for the gift of your friendship in 2010, and am looking forward to more art-y fun with you in '11. Happy New Year, sweetie!

SusanK said...

Isn't evolution a wonderful thing? Love how this all came together and one thing led to another!