(I have to start this by saying.... I just read Hels' blog for this project and I nearly fell off the couch.... my post will be so TAME in comparison... but here we go....)
This week's "I Challenge Thee" project is a mini canvas. Here's the recipe Hels and I came up with this week:
Handmade fabric flower
Grunge or chipboard flourish
Clearly for Art
Sentiment (1 word)
Stamp - anything
As it turns out... this weeks technique over on the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge (CCC) is altered metal with paint, which happens to fit in with this piece.... so I'm doing a two-fer.... so to speak...
So.... I dove right into the project yesterday after our weekly skype session, and proceeded to fall FLAT ON MY FACE.... not literally.... but figuratively in the *extreme*.... nothing I tried worked out... hated it all.... had to walk away... I *hate* it when that happens! I was little miss grumpy the rest of the day.... (I hate that too!) But... what can you do....
Came home from work today, and went back to it. Amazing what a difference ONE day makes... finished it in 30 minutes.... everything just came together.... yay! Here's the result!
Not too shabby, right? I rather like it...
Started by dabbing Terra over the entire surface of the canvas. Then used the tattered florals die to cut the clearly for art. Selected a flower and used alcohol ink to color it to match the fabric flower I made. Also used the same alcohol ink on the button in the center, and the "LIVE" tag. I figured while I was at it, I'd dab the alcohol ink pad all over the Terra as well! I went a little crazy, but hey... it all matches.... and it works for me. Cut a flourish out of grungepaper and painted it with snow cap white paint dabber. And added a word tag done with the "altered metal with paint" technique from Tim's book. Check it out HERE if you're interested. Final touch was to spread a very thin layer of "starry night" stickles over the surface for just a hint of sparkle.
If you're interested in learning how to make this style of fabric flower - head over to Donna Downey's blog HERE - there's a great tutorial. I think I scared Hels with the mention of needle and thread.... she's a little bit sew-phobic.... but.... hopefully this has cured her of that.... her project is FAB!
Here's a side view to see the dimension of the clearly for art flower.
And finally.... wrapped the canvas in some tissue tape - I'm seriously addicted to this stuff. It's so easy to work with, and gives a finished look to any project.
Hope you're enjoying playing along with these "I Challenge Thee"..... challenges... we have fun coming up with them each week, and it's a great way to try new techniques, or revisit ones you've been neglecting... Remember to head over to Hels' blog HERE and check out her project! You'll LOVE it!
Have a great week!