Monday, January 31, 2011

I Challenge Thee / CCC - Mini Canvas

Hi all!

(I have to start this by saying.... I just read Hels' blog for this project and I nearly fell off the couch.... my post will be so TAME in comparison... but here we go....)

This week's "I Challenge Thee" project is a mini canvas.  Here's the recipe Hels and I came up with this week:

4x4 canvas
Terra
Paint
Handmade fabric flower
Grunge or chipboard flourish
Clearly for Art
Sentiment (1 word)
Stamp - anything

As it turns out... this weeks technique over on the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge (CCC) is altered metal with paint, which happens to fit in with this piece.... so I'm doing a two-fer.... so to speak...

So.... I dove right into the project yesterday after our weekly skype session, and proceeded to fall FLAT ON MY FACE.... not literally.... but figuratively in the *extreme*.... nothing I tried worked out... hated it all.... had to walk away... I *hate* it when that happens!  I was little miss grumpy the rest of the day.... (I hate that too!)   But... what can you do....

Came home from work today, and went back to it.  Amazing what a difference ONE day makes... finished it in 30 minutes.... everything just came together.... yay!  Here's the result!


Not too shabby, right?  I rather like it...

Started by dabbing Terra over the entire surface of the canvas.  Then used the tattered florals die to cut the clearly for art.   Selected a flower and used alcohol ink to color it to match the fabric flower I made.  Also used the same alcohol ink on the button in the center, and the "LIVE" tag.  I figured while I was at it, I'd dab the alcohol ink pad all over the Terra as well!  I went a little crazy, but hey... it all matches.... and it works for me.  Cut a flourish out of grungepaper and painted it with snow cap white paint dabber. And added a word tag done with the "altered metal with paint" technique from Tim's book.  Check it out HERE if you're interested.  Final touch was to spread a very thin layer of "starry night" stickles over the surface for just a hint of sparkle.

If you're interested in learning how to make this style of fabric flower - head over to Donna Downey's blog HERE - there's a great tutorial. I think I scared Hels with the mention of needle and thread.... she's a little bit sew-phobic.... but.... hopefully this has cured her of that.... her project is FAB!

Here's a side view to see the dimension of the clearly for art flower.


And finally.... wrapped the canvas in some tissue tape - I'm seriously addicted to this stuff.  It's so easy to work with, and gives a finished look to any project.



Hope you're enjoying playing along with these "I Challenge Thee"..... challenges... we have fun coming up with them each week, and it's a great way to try new techniques, or revisit ones you've been neglecting...  Remember to head over to Hels' blog HERE and check out her project!  You'll LOVE it!

Have a great week!

~ ellen.

17 comments:

Kathy2eggs said...

Wonderful canvas, I love the colors. Your flower is beautiful.

Helen said...

What a gorgeous canvas. I love your colours - and the flower. I am "sew-phobic" too....
Never tried adding alcohol ink to terra but it looks great... what an inspiration. Thanks, Ellen!!

Minxy said...

Oh how striking Ellen, love the fabric flower and tissue tape edging :D

Hels Sheridan said...

Oooh..... ahhhhhh, oooooh, this is LUSH

Those colours are just popping right off the canvas - tis amazing... and that flower... YUM!!!

Yes, I felt a few *ahem* pricks whilst making the flower but... I will say this... I LOVED making them... and... I am now going to make some more!!! SO, thank you for the online tut!!!

SEE YOU .... soon!!!!!

xxxxxx

Yelowflower said...

Nice....I like it!

Plume said...

WOW! I like the clear flower and everypart of your creation fits with the others! Nice work!

Juls said...

stunning!!! beautiful rich colours and that flower is just beautiful! Hugs Juls

Lori said...

Zowee! Love the colors you used, so rich looking! And that flower is EXCELLENT!

Otter Blue said...

Very nice piece! It is a delight to see something different and in such lively colors. Beautiful.

craftytrog said...

Great canvas, love the colours on your metal! x

minnie_mac said...

Gorgeous flower, and beautiful vibrant colours.

Marilyn

Shelann said...

Nice canvas and the metal looks great.

Nancy said...

Ohhhh....I like this, a lot!

Deanna Cosgrove said...

Great project and it turned out just gorgeous!

Barbara Mason said...

Wow! Love this - colors are striking! Metal is great too!

Linda Ledbetter said...

Hello, darling girl! You and Hels are rockin' the I Challenge Thee projects AND the CCC! This piece is absolutely amazing! WOW-- just look at those COLORS! The fabric flower is transcendent-- for real, it's THAT beautiful! The background, the painted metal-- the whole shebang is masterful. WTG, girl!

Julie Forest said...

Absolutely spectacular canvas! The colors are so vibrant!! Beautiful! :)