I know... two posts in one day... what can I tell you... weekends are all about ART... and today is a holiday to I get an *extra day*... :D
Yesterday, Hels and I had our second "I Challenge Thee" session via skype, and this time we actually did most of our crafting LIVE. She had me propped up on her laptop, sitting on "my" desk in the Room of Stash.... was great to feel at least a little bit like we were together again, crafting our little hearts out, singing along with the radio... make sure to pop over to Hels' blog and check out her project, too!
This week we came up with the following recipe for our project:
Project Type: Tag (normal size, #8)
Distress Ink Colors: Broken China & Scattered Straw (ellen); Chipped Sapphire & Old Paper (hels); plus we could each choose a "wild card" color - we both chose Vintage Photo.... (because vintage photo makes *everything* look better!)
Archival / Staz On inks as needed.
Technique: Embossed Resist
Stamps: Paper Artsy grungeflowers, stamped on metal; and Studio 490 Background stamps
Embellishments: As desired...no rules....
And away we go! I'm excited as this is my first metal flower!!
I started by stamping the vine background by Studio 490 onto my tag using distress embossing ink. Heated it up, and then inked over the embossed area with ALL the colors above, starting with the lightest and working darker & darker to build color and contrast.
Then I made a "tape sandwich" out of black cardstock, Ten Seconds Studio (TSS) humungo tape, and gold metal. This gives the metal some stability and makes it easier to work with. Thanks to Lin Brown and her awesome tutorial for the idea.... Then stamped the collage flowers from Paper Artsy onto the metal using black Staz-On ink and heated to dry. Did same technique with Paper Artsy dotty leaf onto green metal (also a tape sandwich).
Cut the metal images out with scissors and texturized them with the various refining tools and wheels from TSS. Layered the two flowers together with glossy accents, and added a bottle cap in the center, with a Tim Holtz philosophy tag in the middle. Added layers of clear UTEE and melted with a heat gun (carefully so as not to blow it all over the room! voice of experience there...).
Added an ornate plate with the word "create" handwritten on the green metal. Covered the inside of the frame with glossy accents and waited about TEN YEARS for it to dry.... this pic was taken after about 6 hours.... still drying....
Since the embossed background didn't cover the whole tag, I stamped the alphabet/numbers background (Studio 490) at the top of the tag, and added some Maya Road crochet trim as a border between the two sections.
I am LOVING these "I Challenge Thee" sessions - it is so helpful to make the major decisions at the *beginning* of the process, and stick to them! We art-lovers are so over-loaded with stash that it is sometimes completely overwhelming to just decide what to make! Let alone how to make it. And it's so simple... pick a project type (tag, card, altered frame, etc.), pick 3 or 4 (or 5!) distress ink colors, choose several stamps to use, and a technique you want to focus on, and just START!
Have a great Monday! I'm going to see "the queen" today.... Queen's Ink that is.... like I need more stash.... LOL....
~ ellen xx