Saturday, January 1, 2011

Something Old for the New Year!

Hello!

Hope everyone had a safe & happy new year's celebration last night!  We managed to stay up 'til midnight, which is something of a miracle around here!  The hazards of working full time... up early... to bed early... hard habit to break...

This week's theme over on Simon Says Stamp & Show is to show something from yesteryear.   My current project couldn't be more perfect for this!

I've been spending lots of time over the Christmas/New Year's Holidays on this mini book, which I started when I took a class with Jenni Bowlin last week at The Queen's Ink!  We were able to select from an assortment of antique book covers (front & back, hardback variety), and then created pages to insert into the book during class.


Since then, I've been embellishing and adding photos from my trip to England!  Here's a few pages that I've completed to far...

The train platform in Hels' town of Wellingborough - I've arrived!
Gates of Buckingham Palace
Printed this photo on sticky back canvas, and printed another photo of a UK post box on SBC too, then stuck the sticky sides together and sewed them together - cool insert page for the book.  I've done a few others like this with different images.  I love making page inserts out of different materials than the main pages.
Class with THE Linda Elbourne - photos of our finished cards in top section, and me & Linda below - I'm all bundled up in my most bulky warm sweater because it was FREEZING! 
I still have all the journaling to do, and will be doing lots more embellishing, but this gives you an idea of where I am so far....  I'm having a hard time believing that I'm actually (*sssshhhhh don't tell anyone*) scrapbooking!  ACK! I prefer to think of it as an altered mini-book....

Best wishes to everyone for an awesome 2011!  I'm so fortunate to have met so many incredible people through the blogosphere - what an amazing gift!  Thanks so much to everyone who has stopped by to check out my little corner of the world, and especially to those who take the time to leave a comment - they really to mean a lot to me, and it's how I get to know you!  Keep 'em coming!

Happy, Happy!!!

~ ellen xxx

5 comments:

connie said...

Hey,,,,you love to scrapbook and don't forget it. I've seen some of your work and it's awesome. I was just working on my journal and attached the pearls at the bottom of the cover. I think I'm going to do the family theme. Something special that happened in 2010 for each of us. luvs ya.

Lori said...

This is awesome, Ellen! Yea, well, I think we all started in scrapbooking, and honestly, I need to do a little more of it. Rather than keeping the pics on my computer! lol! Love that photo on SBC, that's an awesome idea! Adds so much to the book, I love it! Keep on truckin'! I mean, scrappin'! lol!

Hels Sheridan said...

LOVE your Mini Book - you can't see the size of my cheesy chops here but that made me really smile to see Wellingborough in America!!! Well, you know what I mean lol .. maybe, you never know, I will be able to make my own mini book of a trip to Baltimore... soon !!! xx

Dan said...

What a wonderful souvenir of your trip! :) I love the idea for canvas insert pages! The Design Team are really pleased that you joined us for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week - Thank you!

Nancy said...

Love this, Ellen!
You can call it scrapbooking, you can call it altering, you can call it whatever (there was a comedian a LONG time ago who had that in his routine *lol*) - it's a wonderful memory book!