Sunday, January 16, 2011

Wendy Vecchi Altered Frame - 100th Post!!!

Hello!

I can't believe this is my 100th post!  How time flies!  When I started this blog last year, I never dreamed how many incredible people I would meet that love all the same things I love!  It really is miraculous to me how art unites people.  When I started the blog, there were very specific people that inspired me enough to create a forum for sharing my own art... they are....in no particular order.... Wendy Vecchi, Tim Holtz, Jennifer McGuire, Claudine Hellmuth and Suze Weinberg!  What a RANGER girl.... and proud of it.... Love them all, and have come to discover lots of other inspirational artists along my journey.... some of whom are.... and I'm sure I'll forget somebody.... Hels Sheridan, Donna Downey, Lori Hassler, Linda Ledbetter, Linda Elbourne, Lin Brown, and many other blogging friends.  Thanks to ALL of you for making my journey more interesting, for your friendship, your *lovely* comments (because we all LOVE comments, right?), and for sharing your amazing work with all of us.  You're the BEST!

So... on with today's share... as you may remember, I was fortunate enough to take several classes with Wendy Vecchi last October at The Queen's Ink in Savage, MD.  Of course, I HAD to get the obligatory picture with Wendy, and I thought it was long past time that I gave that picture a special place in my studio.  So yesterday I spent some time altering a wooden picture frame to house that very special memory.  Here it is!

  
I started with an unfinished wood frame.  I wanted to play with the Ranger color washes, so I picked three colors and started spraying.  My goal was to try for the same blue in Wendy's shirt.  By the time the colors were blended, it was distinctly GREEN... NOT good.  So I gessoed over the whole frame, and then spritzed some "stream" color wash on my craft sheet and painted it over the gesso - RESULT!  I love this look!  The gesso tones down the intensity of the color wash, and I ended up with a beautiful turquoise blue.  Not an exact match, but I love the color anyway.  This is a technique that Wendy shared on her blog last summer and it was a perfect *save* for this project!

I'll say from the beginning that ALL stamps used on this project are from Wendy's Studio 490 stamps - would be *wrong* to use any others on this particular project, right?  

Then I used the snow cap paint dabber on Wendy's script and stripey ticking (?) background stamps and stamped them over the blue frame - script in the corners and ticking on the remaining sides.  I like the variation.  

Now for the fun part - embellishments!  "THE wendy vecchi" is spelled out in maya road chipboard letters, inked with butterscotch pigment ink, and over-stamped with the polka dot and screen background stamps.  

The flowers are inked with barn door DI and stamped with the german text background stamp, curled and layered together.  I love the "w" in the middle of one of the flowers - I've had that metal "w" FOREVER!!!  Old stash come to life!!  Leaves are stamped with olive archival ink and then inked with peeled paint DI.  Butterflies are inked with wild honey DI with rock candy distress stickles over top.  Layered together with a game spinner in the middle (classic Wendy technique - love it!) 


Then added some idea-ology - since Wendy loves idea-ology and does lots of samples for Tim Holtz I figured it was OK - the "dreams" key and the "muse" word tag and the snaps (flower center, and dotting the "i" in Vecchi - it truly was a dream come true to meet Wendy and get to know her a little bit, and she is such an inspiration that 'muse' was a perfect fit.  


Hope you enjoyed the project - and hope you've enjoyed this, my 100th post!  Here's to the next 100, and many to come after that.  Thanks for stopping by, thanks for being interested in my little corner of the art world, and hope to see you all around the blog-o-sphere often. 

Big Hugs and Big Thanks to Everyone!

~ ellen xxx

4 comments:

Helen said...

And here's to the next 100! I love this frame and the various elements you've used to embellish it. A truly fitting way to frame your picture!

Hels Sheridan said...

Having seen this in the "real" earlier.. all I can say is... CORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

it is beautiful, gorgeous, amazing, fabulous and... I LURVE it!!!! And... even though I am a teensy bit Peeled Paint that you have a photo of you and Wendy, I can't help but have a big cheesy grin on my chops because I know that you had the best time that weekend...

Yes, here is to another 100... nay 1000, indeedily!

Hugs hunny xxx

Anonymous said...

well I lurve it too *sticking tongue out at Hels* lmao
congrads on 100 u ranger girl u!

Lori said...

This is really fantastic Ellen! I LOVE how that color came out on the frame, just the right shade! And everything else is perfection! Awww, you're so sweet to mention me, thank you very much, and I'm flattered that I can actually inspire a great artist such as yourself!