Sunday, February 6, 2011

I Challenge.... ME !

Hi all!

Well today's skype session had to be cancelled (well post-poned) since Hels was demo-ing at a show today (such a celebrity...)  So I wanted to post another project from my *art-spir-a-tion* journal.  This is the first project that I actually did sketch out first, and I love how it turned out!

I've had this canvas messenger bag by Donna Downey since October, and I've been waiting to alter it til I had an idea worthy of trying it... here it is!  



I started by painting the flap green on both sides - I used Folk Art Acrylic Paint.  Then painted the rest of the bag in black - took two coats and LOTS of water to get the paint to soak in, but it turned out with mostly even coverage.  Then I did some DRIPPAGE in black paint over the front of the flap to tie the black in with the rest of the bag.

I got this awesome 12 x 12 canvas book print (also from Donna Downey's shop), and cut it into thin text strips.  I frayed all the edges and glued it all over the flap with fabric glue - a gooey gluey process, but it works great, dries quickly, and is washable after 24 hours.


I wasn't sure if I wanted to layer additional embellishments over the text, and ultimately decided to keep it pretty simple (mostly because I didn't want the bag to get so heavy that I couldn't carry it!  
Hope you had fun reading/playing along - I'm looking forward to some new canvas bags coming out from Donna Downey - stay tuned - once they hit the stores I'll be doing some more altering.... fun, fun, fun! 

Hope you had a good weekend - be back later in the week with some more things to share. 

Hugs!

~ ellen.

5 comments:

Hels Sheridan said...

Tis lush... loving that drippage!!! Will I get to see it in the real I wonder.. you know.. in

TEN DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxxxxxxx

Lori said...

Well, this is fantastic! Love all the "drips", and those text lines are so cool!

donnadowney said...

it is FANTASTIC!!!!
way to go!

Juls said...

just fab!!! I love all the text detail! Hugs Juls

Larissa Heskett said...

What a cute bag!! =) THANKS for sharing it with us!! Have a FABULOUS MONDAY! =)