Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I Challenge Thee - ATC/Card

Hello!

We're back!  Hels 'N' Els' were back on skype on Sunday and this week's I Challenge Thee project is:

 - create an ATC that will be the main feature in a card
 - use only Wendy Vecchi /Studio 490 stamps
 - Maya Road embellishments
 - use NO Tim Holtz signature products, including distress inks, sizzix, and all idea-ology (with grungepaper as the only exception, since it features heavily in Wendy's style - I managed to get through this project without using it, but it was allowed).

It's such a *given* for me to use distress inks that we thought it would be... well.. "challenging" NOT to use them.  Now... if we had said don't use any Ranger inks.... now .... that wouldn't be a challenge... that would be an outright PROBLEM for me... and as for all things "Tim"... well... again, they are my most used products, so I wanted a reason to use all my OTHER stash, which is being woefully neglected!

Here's the result:


I started with a textured cardstock ATC, and swiped 4 colors of Ranger pigment ink on my craft sheet (butterscotch, lettuce, cranberry, and stream), sprayed with water, and began layering the colors onto the ATC background, heat drying between each layer.  I love the effect the pigment inks give - they don't blend as completely as distress inks, so each color maintains it's own "identity".
Then I stamped Wendy's script background in coffee archival ink, followed by the floral image in jet black archival ink.  

The black scalloped edge is from a Martha Stewart edge punch - it is layered over the ATC with foam tape for dimension, with the maya road pom pom trim over that.  The trim was inked with the coffee archival ink pad.  


The card background was done by going direct to paper with the same 4 pigment inks, swiping each color randomly over the entire background, either vertically or horizontally.  Then stamped the same script background over that, as well.

Matted the background on black card stock and attached to a standard A2 card (US standard A2 - half of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, folded in half).  

I used some scrap from the background on the inside of the card, and stamped one of Wendy's sentiments on the inside.  


It was a lot easier than I thought to create without distress inks.... need to remember that more often!  Of course.... I am dying to try the new distress stains... mine have been ordered and I'm (not so) patiently waiting for them to arrive!

Hope you enjoyed playing along - don't forget to pop over to Hels' blog to check out her project!  Next week's "I Challenge Thee" will be generated IN PERSON in the UK from Hels' Room of Stash!!  I leave tomorrow night! 

Have a great week, and thanks for stopping by!

~ ellen xx

5 comments:

Helen said...

A beautiful card, Ellen - love the pastel colours. Have a safe trip.

Hels Sheridan said...

FABBYLICIOUS CARD! Loving those colours (LMAO) Good on you not using GP - I used heaps of it... I just cannot live without it ROFL
See you... in.... TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xx

Linda Elbourne said...

Beautiful card Ellen ... Those colours look fab!

Lori said...

Great card, Ellen, eeekkk, no distress inks? Ya, I'd be in the same pickle if I wasn't allowed to use any Ranger inks...lol...great job with the pigments, love that background..safe travels to you!

Juls said...

fab! Love the scallop detail and the pom poms!! Hugs Juls