Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Altered Antique Book

Hello again!

Hope you're all having a good week - I've been crazy busy at work since returning from England, so I haven't had a lot of time (or energy) for creating, but I wanted to share this mini-book that I worked on while in England in Hels' ROOM OF STASH....

I bought some antique books a few months ago, and brought several of the covers with me so Hels and I could play with them.  If you want to check out her book - click HERE to whizz over to her blog - it's fabulous!

I started with really really old leather covers, like *falling apart* old - very cool.  Hels went to exhaustive lengths to have some of Wendy Vecchi's fabulous new ART PARTS available for us to play with as well, so I used the new pocket watch and small flower parts on the cover.


They are SO cool - you MUST get them.  I inked the inside of the pocket watch with antique linen, stamped Wendy's polka dot background in coffee archival ink, and then gave it a coat of rock candy crackle paint.  The flower was inked with peeled paint, stamped with Wendy's alphabet background, and also got a coat of clear crackle.  The outside frame of the pocket watch was done with the gold paint dabber, with a dabbing motion to give some texture, and then dabbed some coffee archival ink with my finger, over the gold paint to tone it down and age it a bit.  This picture shows the detail a little better.


Each of the inside pages was created by gluing two pieces of cardstock together.  Then I ran each page through the c'bug with different "on the edge" dies.  Each page gets progressively wider so when you open the book you can see the edges of all the pages.  The inside edge of each page was covered with tissue tape as well. 


I covered the inside covers with Tim's paper stash, map paper.  Here are some close up of several pages.  I still have a few more pages to finish, but this will give you the idea of the book.  I'm really pleased with how they turned out.

Paper Artsy script background, Tim Holtz sentiments (from new release!), Maya road gingham flowers, and jute stems)
Tim Holtz butterfly and sentiment, TH snaps, and a canvas tab stapled to the sentiment
Studio 490 flower vine, prima flowers, Studio 490 "make art" stamp, and TH ornate frame. Coated "make art" with glossy accents.
Ruler paper adhered to grungeboard and sanded/inked to distress.  TH sentiment over corrugated cardboard strip, painted with black paint dabber and accented with Inka Gold, dried flower/wheat accent.
TH birdcage hot-glued while "squished" in a little to give dimension. Flower stems are from the TH flourish die, cut into pieces. Prima flowers, maya road trinket leaf pins, Maya road chipboard letters "bloom" - black paint dabber and Inka Gold accents.

Hope you enjoyed the pages - I'm really loving the "mini-book" thing lately.... There are so many possibilities, and I'm dying to try out all the new products from the latest CHA.... still waiting for most of them to arrive at my LSS, but simply could NOT wait for the distress stains, so I broke down and ordered them on-line.... hoping the new stuff will be available locally SOON!!  

Have a great day - see you soon!

~ ellen 

8 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous book, wonderful details and beautifully embellished. Tracy Evans x

Helen said...

What a stunning altered book - I love it!! I have to find a book I can do this kind of thing with.

Minxy said...

WOW, your book is absolutely stunning, and i mean WOW, and i just adore the old tatty cover, there the best kind :D

flutterbycrafter said...

Absolutely stunning work, awesome, fantastic, wow. Love the book you've used too.

Hels Sheridan said...

oooh, the pics are good but it really does look even more lush in the real... LOVE that page with the birdycage muchly x

Lori said...

Totally love this Ellen, Oh, did I start my last comment that way? Yeah, probably more than that. Love how this turned out, fab ideas all the way around!

Dinky Pink said...

Love the flowers, stunning work its amazing!

Marjie K said...

Wow! Love everything about this especially the page with the flowers bursting out of the bird cage --- too clever!!!