Friday, March 25, 2011

An Art Adventure

Hello again!

I made this canvas a few nights ago and I'm so excited to share it with you! 

As I was saying on yesterday's post, I sometimes struggle with finding my *own* creative voice.  When I set out to make this project, my goal was to combine my favorite techniques with some of my favorite products - taking inspiration from lots of different places all in the same piece.  I may not be quite to my OWN voice, but I'm making progress....

I started with a blank 6x6 canvas and chose 3 color wash sprays by Ranger.  I chose red pepper, butterscotch and meadow.  Sprayed randomly over the whole canvas and used the heat tool to dry. 

Then came the fun part..... I broke out the titanium white airbrush paint by Golden, and dripped the paint directly from the bottle, from the top of the canvas, letting it drip wherever it wanted.  Then lightly spritzed with water. OMG... the blending and bleeding... as Donna Downey would say... HAPPY PLACE!!!  Seriously, I think I squealed!  I grabbed my heat gun as fast as I could to dry it before it changed!


When the white paint hit the color wash, it bled and blended, so the *white* isn't super white - which I LOVE - it just gave such texture and depth - will definitely be doing that again!  

It's a little hard to tell in these pix, but then I used Wendy's new wavy grid stamp and the circle background stamp, with white paint, to stamp over the background.  Again, the white paint bled with the color washes so it has the effect of a watermark.... here's a close up - hopefully you can see it a little better...


I already knew I wanted to use the "art market" art parts truck and the "art journey" sentiment, both by Wendy Vecchi, but I wanted to spread out the sentiment so I cut it up into pieces.  Also, I wanted to highlight the word ART so I substituted another bigger Studio 490 ART stamp and popped it up with Liquid Scrap Dots


Then I thought it would be fun to play with the adventure concept so attached some link chain like a winding road across the canvas.  The "wander" philosophy tag was a natural choice. 


Added the pen nibs just because I like them.... and they play nicely to the art adventure...

Thanks for popping in... I'll be back tomorrow with another project...

~ ellen.

14 comments:

Netty said...

This is great Ellen and loving those white drips, will definitely have to get this product, so love the results. Annette x

Susan said...

This is lovely. I think you're finding your voice!
Susan

Candybonita said...

I really like this piece Ellen. I see each link in the chain as a landmark in your journey of creativity. Keep up the wonderful work your doing, it's very inspiring to me. Hugs,

Lori said...

Ooo, that background is SO COOL! I love the effect you got with the paint and colorwash. Nnniiiccceee.......

Helen said...

Love the Donna Drippage!! The chain is awesome, in fact the whole thing is Gorgeous witha capital G! Have a great weekend.
Gotta get me some paints I need to play!

Laura said...

This is gorgeous !!!!! oh i love it and the background texture and colours are lush !!!! hmmmm yummy

Hels Sheridan said...

Now, you know me, and you know how I talk... well... one word for this....

ABSO~CHUFFING~LUTELYGORGEOUS&SCRUMDIDDLYUMPTIOUSANDD~CHUFFING~VINE!!!!!

xxx

Leslie said...

Drippage is wonderful!!!

Nancy said...

COOLCOOLCOOL!!!!!!!!!

Nancy Wethington said...

Great piece Ellen! Thanks for joining the challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

Candy C said...

Hey Ellen...I LOVE this! So, what is different about the Golden titanium white airbrush paint as opposed to Golden's titanium white acrylic paint? I love what you did and how it ran and blended! Wow! What a wonderful experiment! I also love the way you finished out your canvas...with Wendy's stamps and also the embellishments you used. Very cool! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge! <3 Candy

KAT said...

The background on this piece is amazing - I love the color you achieved by "drip drying"! Fantastic!

Wanda H said...

Way, WAY cool!!!! Totally love the background!!! The placement of the chain and other parts is perfect!!!! Wonderful!!!!

StampDancer said...

This is awesome! Can I ask, do you gesso your canvas before working on it, or just start with it "as is"? That drip drying is cool!