Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Clearly for Art - Bright & Bold

Hello again!

I'm on a roll, and loving this burst of creative energy!  Here's another tag I made over the weekend, using distress stains,  alcohol inks, Wendy Vecchi's Studio 490 stamps, Clearly For Art (whiteout) and Art Parts. 


I started by using Ranger's new distress stains to create a blended background, going over the stains with distress inks to intensify the color. 

Then I used Studio 490 script stamp in coffee archival and the circles background in jet black archival to give some additional interest to the background. 

I was lucky to get my hands on some of the new Clearly for Art - Whiteout over the weekend, and wanted to play with it.  So I used Tim's tattered floral die to cut out the flowers, and then added color to them using alcohol inks.  I wanted the colors to be bright & bold (not my usual style, but liking it!).  Rather than blending multiple colors together, I went for a solid color on each layer of the flower.  I used red pepper, butterscotch, and meadow.  I stamped each layer with a different background stamp (front and back).


Now comes the fun part.... when you heat clearly for art, it becomes soft so you can mold it into whatever shape you want.  If you don't like how it turns out.... just re-heat and it will go completely flat again - you get as many tries as you want!  My preferred technique for flowers is to place the flower on top of the handle of a blending tool and then apply heat, so the flower petals sort of "melt" creating instant dimension - then I can refine the shape from there.  Seems to work well.

Added a vintage button to the center - threaded with some black hemp - it's a crime to use naked (un-threaded) buttons, right?   And added a Maya Road star trinket pin, colored with butterscotch alcohol ink.

Added some of Tim's measuring tape to the top of the piece, and the art parts scalloped border (painted with black paint dabber) to the bottom, and finally, added some typewritten words to random places.


I'm having an absolute ball making art this week - I hope this burst lasts!!! 

I'll be back with more soon - yes, there's still more to come! 

Have a great day,

~ ellen.

7 comments:

Helen said...

Ellen, this is fab too - love those stains - hand 'em over, i want them....!!! Your background is just gorgeous.

wendy vecchi said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it...
every little detail is absolutely...PERFECT!!!

Hels Sheridan said...

Gorgeously lushyness abounds! Loving the colours (lmao) seriosuly, I do!! xx

Minxy said...

Bright and Bold indeed.. loving the background :D

Lori said...

You are on a roll! lol! This is fab, loving those bright colors, and great tip about using the blending tool handle. Clearly for Art is great stuff, isn't it? Love it!

Wanda H said...

Gorgeous tag!!!! All of your projects are amazing!!! (and I'm still looking and reading - might never leave, lol) I'm so glad Wendy featured you because I don't think I'd been to your blog before!!! I will not get regular updates so I won't miss a thing you post!!!!!

Sherly said...

love the bright colors ...thanks for encouraging us to step out of our
comfort zone.
Sherly