Sunday, March 27, 2011

Life Happens When....

Hello!

Here's the latest tag from my recent "spree"... Tim Holtz style...

I was so excited when I got the Stuff to Say set and I've set a personal goal to use EVERY flippin' new stamp that I bought this time around.  So often we see stamps that we just HAVE to have... and then they get woefully neglected... not a good trend.  This hobby of ours is not a cheap one, and I really want to USE all the stuff I buy!  So... I'm mixing a bit of new with a bit of old.....

One thing I'm really trying to work on is building layers of interest in my art.... you'll have to look closely to see, but there are SIX layers on this background... Here's the breakdown:

1.  started by layering scraps of booktext all over the tag
2.  did a white wash over the text
3.  stamped script in coffee archival over the white wash
4.  applied butterscotch paint with my finger tip horizontally and vertically in random spots
5.  white drippage
6.  concentric circles stamp in black archival ink


Technically I then added black soot distress ink to the edges - so maybe that could be considered layer #7... but only on the edges....


This grungeboard flourish is dabbed with Ferro (iron oxide), heat dried, and then gently used my fingers to swipe some Inka Gold over the textured surface.  Love that Ferro - fab stuff!


Totally love this new sentiment, and love that it fits perfectly in the shield/coat of arms diecut.  I cut the sheild out of patterned ledger paper, inked with antique linen DI with walnut stain and black on the edges, and stamped the sentiment in black archival.


Added the beads from a jump ring attached to the ribbon (May Arts) at the top.  Got these beads from Michael's - Love them!  They're like Tim's baubles, but in BLACK - sweet!  And some of them have a rough texture... let me see if I have a better pic....mmmmm nope... sorry...but you get the idea...

Hope you're all having a great weekend... I better get busy getting organized for stamp camp.... the amount of *stash* that goes to camp is.... well.... seemingly ridiculous... I have an SUV and I NEED all that space when I go to camp... I'm just sayin' .... Jack teases me that it would be easier to fit my entire studio with a hitch so i could just tow the whole thing... how cool would that be???  HAHA!!


Thanks for stopping by...

~ ellen.

9 comments:

Helen said...

I love your tag, all 6 layers - stunning.
Good luck with your packing.

Minxy said...

Very nice indeed, great texture on the swirl :D

Laura said...

gorgeous tag hun, love the texture !!!! YUM

Kirsten Alicia said...

Wow, that's gorgeous!

Lori said...

Gorgeous tag, and I can see where all those layers really add to the tag. I have layering issues myself. Can't seem to cover anything up. lol. Need to practice that more. Love the ferro on the grungeboard, I have that color, so will need to try that too! Don't use it enough, but when I do, I love it!

Shannon said...

I'm new to your blog and I'm so happy I stumbled upon it while blog-hopping. I see that you are a lover of all things Tim & Wendy like so many of us. Love your style and this most recent tag is absolutely wonderful. I'm going to have to try this Ferro stuff, I love texture like that. It's so true what you said about us crafters having to buy everything and then we forget about it. I think it was Tim H. when he was just on HSN that said we are collectors of our products and supplies and we hate to let go of them. That's so true too. At any rate, love your artwork and I look forward to visiting your site often. Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

Wanda H said...

Fabulous!!!!

Gillian said...

Loving the retro vintage feel to this tag Ellen,the depth/layers are fab:)

Hels Sheridan said...

humph, Blogger ate my comment! Just popped back for another look at all your lovely stuff.. am with Jack, a towable craft room would just be perfect wouldn't it? LOL See you in... TWENTY SEVEN DAYS!!!! xx