Saturday, March 26, 2011

This IS Art!

Hello!

I'm back again... with another tag to share.  As you've probably surmised by now... I'm addicted to Studio 490 Art Parts!  Can't stop playing with them.  So this time I wanted to use the dress form part.  I had tried using the distress stains on them - gorgeous, and stamping over them with the matching stamps for some of them from Studio 490 - genius - so this time I thought I'd try using them with Claudine's Sticky Back Canvas.  I've seen old dressforms that are covered in canvas so I thought this would be a good fit.  Worked like a charm!


The background of the tag is one of Tim's new stamps from the Papillon set.  Stamped that with distress embossing ink and them sprinkled clear embossing powder over and heat-set.  Then used chipped sapphire and forest moss distress ink over the embossed area.  I like using darker inks over embossed areas because it gives such nice contrast.  

Then I tore two pieces of corrugated cardboard on an angle and painted with black paint dabber.  Then added Inka Gold in gold, copper and green to highlight, and then white-washed the whole thing to age/distress.  Attached those two pieces on opposite ends of the tag.


I painted the base and tip of the dressform with brown paint dabber, and then put Inka Gold (gold) around the edges for accent.  Traced the dressform onto the canvas, cut out, and then peeled the backing to attach to the art part.  Then stamped a Studio 490 background over the canvas- sort of looks like a measuring tape!  Added some vintage photo distress ink to soften the look. Added some pom pom trim and a mini safety pin.


The sentiment is also by Studio 490. It's awesome... I can't tell you how many people (non-artsy people) have asked me... so what do you DO with all that STUFF you make?  I just want to say... ummm... why does it matter?  I made that STUFF.... and had so much fun!   I digress...

I'm really liking the look of cutting sentiments up into their individual words - gives much more flexibility in placing them on whatever you're making.  Glued each piece down individually and then inked with antique linen distress ink.


The ginormous brad at the top is by 7 Gypsies - how cool are they?  Then attached a small hitch fastener to the brad so the tag can be hung up. 

Voila! 

One more project to share tomorrow!  I'll be busy next week planning and packing to go away to *STAMP CAMP*. Twice a year I get together with a group of crafty friends for a long weekend filled with nothing but art, laughter and good fun.  Can't wait to get there! 

Hope you're having a great weekend!

~ ellen.

8 comments:

Helen said...

This is great too! Love the dress form... seems IT too will need to be on my "little list" for Ally Pally.
And Stamp Camp sounds a whole lot of fun.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Great piece, love the embossing in the background and the dress form is yummy. Really love that massive brad. Tracy x

Minxy said...

Absolutely stunning, love the textured background :D

Hels Sheridan said...

totally LOVE this... need those Art Parts, need those stamps but most of all... NEED to come to camp with you all... now that would be just perfect! Finally got the old jalopy lappytop working... twas most excellent to see you this arvo hunny... have a goodly day tomz... waiting to see what else you are doing now xx

Emma said...

A stunning tag and I'm very envious of those stamps, I think they might go onto my "lust list"...beautiful!!!
Emma x

Kirsten Alicia said...

This is stunning. I love the background.

Lori said...

Love this Ellen! Great idea to use the SBC on the art part, adds nice texture! Ooo, a stamp camp sounds wonderful, have fun!

Wanda H said...

An awesome tag, Ellen!!!!