Thursday, March 24, 2011

The World of Imagination

Hello!

I'm back!  I've been busy again, playing with new stamps and inks and stains and paints and stash... I was asked to make some samples for my LSS The Queen's Ink (by "Queen" Patti herself!) which was extremely flattering, so I've been busy busy busy... I'll be sharing some of the things I made over the next few days.


This first project is a tag using some of Tim's new stamps...I love the background - an awesome map - and I have to confess - I LOVE MAPS!  All kinds of maps - new maps, old maps, big maps, small maps - love em all.  

And as soon as I saw that compass stamp I knew I had to find a way to put it under glass, and the 7 Gypsies optical lens was a perfect fit!



The sentiment is so awesome - I'm really trying to embrace it's meaning - boundless imagination - it's a big concept actually.... for me it's all about letting go and just creating whatever I'm inspired to make - no rules - no preconceived notions... which is difficult for me.  As many of you may understand - I spend a lot of time on line, reading other art blogs, trying to learn from artists I admire, and always exploring new techniques and products.  All that influence has a tendency to creep into whatever I create, so sometimes I struggle with finding my OWN creative voice... working on that...

As my friend Hels would say.... I've been waffling on alarmingly.... but that's where I am at the moment...


Back to the tag...


All the stamps and embellishments are by Tim Holtz, with the exception of the 7 Gypsies optical lens and the star trinket pins by Maya Road.  I had a hard time trying to figure out how to attach the game spinner to the *glass* lens... tried multi medium... nope... tried glossy accents... nope... turns out what worked the best was a good ole' "pop dot"...

I'm excited and nervous... I'm co-teaching my first class tomorrow night at the Queen's Ink.  We'll be making this tag that I shared a little while back.... with the metal flower... thanks again to Lin Brown for the awesome technique.... it landed me a teaching gig!  :D


Hope you liked this tag - I'll be back with more over the next few days.  Thanks for stopping by!

~ ellen.

6 comments:

Hels Sheridan said...

AWESOME TAG!!! LOVE IT!!!!
You waffle on love, I like reading :O)
You will be fab tomorrow night... wish I could be there! One day... x

Lori said...

Oooo, these are both AWESOME tags! I just love that compass, thanks for sharing how you did that, love it. And those metal flowers are just the best, I wanna go to class! Have fun!

Helen said...

I did wonder where you'd been - loving the tags - have the best time teaching! The flower is gorgeous, and you learnt from the best!

Laura said...

WOW these are stunning !!!! i wouldnt be able to choose a fab there both awesome xxx

Kirsten Alicia said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous tags! Have a great time teaching your class.

Netty said...

Both fabulous projects Ellen and wow that sentiment has to be the best I've seen. Have a great weekend, Annette x