Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bucket Book - Canvas Travel Fantasy Album

Hellooooo!!!

Long time no blog!  Last weekend I went away with a bunch of crafty friends for a long-weekend art retreat and had a blast!  We spent the entire weekend making art, talking, laughing, sharing life stories - what could be better?  The only down side is that we get VERY little sleep... so I've been catching up on that ever since... hence the lateness of this posting!

If you missed out on Donna Downey's Inspiration Week recently, you've simply GOT to check it out.  Click HERE for a summary post with a link to each of the 7 videos.  I was so inspired by this project that I did one of my own canvas albums, using many of Donna's techniques, but with my own "spin". 

This week's theme on the Simon Says Stamp & Show challenge is to make anything but a card... and since this definitely isn't a card.... I thought I'd join in the fun.... Click HERE to check it out.

I've shown this to some people, and we've decided it should be called "The Bucket Book"... it's a book of places that I want to travel to in my life.  Some places I want to go because I have family history there, and some places I want to go simply because there are awesome sights to be seen.  Here's a few pix of the finished pages in groups... then I'll share the page-by-page pix..



Every page was started by doing a photo transfer using Golden gel medium (which I have discovered is absolutely the BEST for doing photo transfers!) and a laser printed black & white photo, and then white washing over the photo to "push" it into the background.  Like I've said, I'm really working on building layers into my art, and this project was a *perfect* opportunity to practice!! 

After the white-washing, layers of texture, patterns and color were added using stamps, stencils, masks, sprays, paints, distress inks, flocked iron-ons, perfect pearl mists, lots of drippage, my current favorite technique, tissue paper, text quotes, grungeboard letters, and other embellishments...

Here are the individual pages.... click on each pic for a closer look....











If you're interested in the techniques used in these pages, go check out Donna's videos - you will learn SOOO much, and they are just fun to watch!  I'm still working on finishing the canvas binder for the pages, but here it is so far..... used Ranger color wash sprays, lots of water, and white airbrush paint.


Hope you've enjoyed "The Bucket Book" --- I kept the descriptions intentionally brief because, in all honesty, this is DONNA's project.... and you will love the videos... please check them out!  You won't regret it!

Have a great rest-of-the-week! 

~ ellen. xx

11 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, if you get to visit all those places you will be so well travelled!! Love your Bucket Book, and I too was inspired by Donna's videos, just haven't been able to put them into practice yet!

Julie Forest said...

Amazing bucket book!! Love all the beautiful colors and each page is a masterpiece! :)

Laura said...

Love your bucket book. I dont think you can ever do too much travelling there is so much of the wolrd to see and so many places, im wish list is never ending hehehe

Hels Sheridan said...

can I come wiv ya pleeeease??? Lovely book, tis full of texture and I cannot wait to see it in person... in... 23 days!!!! oh and... lovely colours too lmao xx

Lori said...

Wow, Ellen, this is totally fab! Love each and every page, and must check out those videos!

Lori said...

p.s. Thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge! lol!

Shannon said...

I would love to know where you got all these amazing flourishes you used for your Bucket Book? They all look like they might be a die cut? Any way, love your book, it's great!

Becky said...

Great book! thanks for sharing and I'm on my way to Donna's to find out more! :) Becky

Hels Sheridan said...

Psssst.... not long now..... teeeeheeee!!! xx

Gillian said...

Wow Ellen, love your amazing bucket book, each page is so beautifully detailed. Lol @ Hels, anyone would think he is going somewhere:) x

Minxy said...

Before i even read the post i figured these were donna inspired, Loving her work and loving your pages :D