I've been working on this tag for a while and finally finished it tonight! It's amazing what some new stash from Tim Holtz will do to inspire that last finishing touch! When I think about it, this tag must be inspired by SPRING... new life.... growth.... good stuff....
This week's theme over on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is to show something distressed. This tag fits that theme so i thought I'd join in. Click HERE to check it out and play along.
I started by painting a standard #8 tag with black paint dabber. Then I stamped the script background (Studio 490) in distress embossing ink and embossed in clear embossing powder. Then I used the meadow paint dabber and painted over that again, let it dry just a little bit, and wiped over the entire tag with a baby wipe. The clear embossed script resists the meadow paint and you're left with an awesome two-tone background. LOVE!
Then I used some white airbrush paint and dripped it down the length of the tag, and sprayed with water to let it blend and bleed and ... DRIP! I love the antiqued, shabby-chic look of the whitewash.
I wanted to add the keyhole but didn't want it to be so shiny, so I went at it with a white paint dabber and rubbed off excess before it dried completely.
The leafy vine is from Wendy Vecchi's new Art Parts line. Used multi medium to adhere to patterned paper by Queen Bee (Pink Paisley), and very carefully cut around the entire vine with a craft knife. It's a little tedious, but so worth it. Sanded all the edges and added some vintage photo distress ink to blend the paper with the art part base.
The scalloped trim at the top and bottom of the tag is also paper from the Queen Bee stack. The pieces are actually the scrap leftover from the Tim Holtz rosette die. Saw someone use this recently - I think it was Tammy Tutterow - genius! At the bottom of the tag there is also some Tim Holtz elastic trim. Used the tiny attacher to attach the trim to the tag, and then used foam tape to adhere the scallop trim over that.
The "grow" letters are from Tim's new alpha parts - seriously love them and will be using them often! And I really love that they are pre-sticky-fied... (I think I just invented a new word... but you know what I mean...), They come in black, but the black wasn't popping enough with so much black in the background, so I hit them with the meadow paint dabber as well. Can still see the black edges, which gives them some depth.
And final finishing touches - added the "life" key with a memo clip, and the ribbons at the top are also from Tim's trimmings - died with shabby shutters and scattered straw distress ink.
Hope you enjoy - love the embossed resist technique over the black paint - lots of possibilities.
By the way.... I haven't mentioned it yet, which is shocking, but I've been bursting with excitement for my good friend Hels! You probably know by now.... she was accepted to Ranger U! And if that wasn't enough... Ranger is only 3 short hours from me... so.... I'm going to pick her up on the last day and bring her home with me for a whole week! YIPPEEE!!! Hels is coming to America! I'm accepting all donations of her favorite snack in the known universe.... which sadly is not available in England.... CHEESY CHESTER CHEETOS! The original crunchy kind. LOL!
I never would have dreamed a year ago that I would have an awesome friend in England, AND that not only would I be lucky enough to go visit her once but TWICE, but that she would also be coming to visit ME! LIFE IS GOOD! And to think....it's all because of our art, and others sharing our passion for art. Amazing...I am so thankful.
Have a great week!
~ ellen. xx