Wednesday, April 13, 2011

New Life

Hi everyone!

I've been working on this tag for a while and finally finished it tonight!  It's amazing what some new stash from Tim Holtz will do to inspire that last finishing touch!  When I think about it, this tag must be inspired by SPRING... new life.... growth.... good stuff.... 

This week's theme over on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is to show something distressed.  This tag fits that theme so i thought I'd join in.  Click HERE to check it out and play along.


I started by painting a standard #8 tag with black paint dabber.  Then I stamped the script background (Studio 490) in distress embossing ink and embossed in clear embossing powder.  Then I used the meadow paint dabber and painted over that again, let it dry just a little bit, and wiped over the entire tag with a baby wipe.  The clear embossed script resists the meadow paint and you're left with an awesome two-tone background.  LOVE! 


Then I used some white airbrush paint and dripped it down the length of the tag, and sprayed with water to let it blend and bleed and ... DRIP!  I love the antiqued, shabby-chic look of the whitewash.

I wanted to add the keyhole but didn't want it to be so shiny, so I went at it with a white paint dabber and rubbed off excess before it dried completely.



The leafy vine is from Wendy Vecchi's new Art Parts line.  Used multi medium to adhere to patterned paper by Queen Bee (Pink Paisley), and very carefully cut around the entire vine with a craft knife.  It's a little tedious, but so worth it.  Sanded all the edges and added some vintage photo distress ink to blend the paper with the art part base.


The scalloped trim at the top and bottom of the tag is also paper from the Queen Bee stack.  The pieces are actually the scrap leftover from the Tim Holtz rosette die.  Saw someone use this recently - I think it was Tammy Tutterow - genius!  At the bottom of the tag there is also some Tim Holtz elastic trim.  Used the tiny attacher to attach the trim to the tag, and then used foam tape to adhere the scallop trim over that.


The "grow" letters are from Tim's new alpha parts - seriously love them and will be using them often! And I really love that they are pre-sticky-fied... (I think I just invented a new word... but you know what I mean...),  They come in black, but the black wasn't popping enough with so much black in the background, so I hit them with the meadow paint dabber as well.  Can still see the black edges, which gives them some depth.


And final finishing touches - added the "life" key with a memo clip, and the ribbons at the top are also from Tim's trimmings - died with shabby shutters and scattered straw distress ink.

Hope you enjoy - love the embossed resist technique over the black paint - lots of possibilities.

By the way.... I haven't mentioned it yet, which is shocking, but I've been bursting with excitement for my good friend Hels!  You probably know by now.... she was accepted to Ranger U!  And if that wasn't enough... Ranger is only 3 short hours from me... so.... I'm going to pick her up on the last day and bring her home with me for a whole week!  YIPPEEE!!!  Hels is coming to America!  I'm accepting all donations of her favorite snack in the known universe.... which sadly is not available in England.... CHEESY CHESTER CHEETOS!  The original crunchy kind.  LOL!

I never would have dreamed a year ago that I would have an awesome friend in England, AND that not only would I be lucky enough to go visit her once but TWICE, but that she would also be coming to visit ME!  LIFE IS GOOD!  And to think....it's all because of our art, and others sharing our passion for art.  Amazing...I am so thankful. 

Have a great week!

~ ellen. xx

12 comments:

Candy C said...

So YOU are the Ellen that Hels is going to hang with after Ranger U!! :) Nice to meet you! Hels and I are going to be hangin' out together at Ranger U! :) She's a hoot!! Anyway...your tag is drop dead gorgeous! Love the colors, the embellishments, the papers...everything. It's just beautiful! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge! <3 Candy

Nancy said...

LOVELOVELOVE this tag!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

I wondered if Hels would be hanging out with you while here for RU - VERY cool that she is!! I think I need to make a road trip ...lol

Hels Sheridan said...

Wow hunny, this tag is SERIOUSLY DropDeadChuffingGORGEOUS!!! Can't wait to see it in the real.. in...17days!!!! Am a little misty now you know.. bless, getting donations for my Cheesy Chester Cheeto's rofl See you... SOON!!!!! xx

Helen said...

Super-stunning tag, Ellen; all the elements go together so well. Have a great time with Hels.

Lori said...

Totally love this Ellen! I think this is the way I start all my comments though. lol. You used so many different techs, and it all looks beautiful!

Gillian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gillian said...

Gorgeous tag Ellen, love everything about it, the art part is so striking, just perfect:)x

Sorry had to many typo's in the lat post lol

sasa said...

Fabulous tag - love the different tones and textures and the green is just perfect...have a ball at Ranger and with Hels...

Thanks for playing with the Simon Says Challenge,

Sarah

Kirsten Alicia said...

Love this tag, it's seriously gorgeous. I'm thrilled for you & Hels that you're going to get together after her Ranger experience. We'll be expecting lots & lots of updates from you both!!

minnie_mac said...

Stunning tag. The background is superb and all the other elements are just perfect.

Marilyn

Hels Sheridan said...

psssssssst... *whispers* 12 days!!!! TWELVE DAYS!!!!!! Yahhoooooo *shouts* CANNOT WAIT!!!! xxx Now come on Mrs, blog! Want to see what else you have been creating x

She said...

Lovely Tag Ellen. I hope you and Hels have the most fantastic time, can't wait to hear all about it. S x