Saturday, April 23, 2011

Simon Says...Let's Make an Art Parts Binder!

Hello!

Sorry it has been so long since I checked in!  Non-art life took over for a while, and then the *mojo* took a little vacation... but this week it returned and life calmed down a bit so I had a good long play with an Art Parts Binder!  Seriously... that Wendy Vecchi & Tim Holtz... conspiring together to bring us both the art parts book covers (Wendy),  the book cover stamp set, and the binder rings (Tim)!  All designed to work together - completely inspired... I hope they decide to conspire again - good result!! I suppose co-operate would be a kinder term.... but I like the feelings that "conspire" evokes... secret Skype meetings and emails... who knows how it all came to be, but it sounds much more exciting... :D 

This week's theme on the Simon Says Stamp & Show challenge, hosted by THE lovely Linda Elbourne,  is to use a Tim Holtz technique... so I figured I'd play along.... click HERE to check out the other projects - there's still a little time left to join in, but hurry! 

Today I'll be sharing the binder itself, and then will share the inside pages over the next few days... can't put all 60 pictures into one post!  So... off we go!

I started with Wendy's Art Parts binder covers (large), covered them with Tim's new kraft resist paper (I'm in LOVE!), and then inked with rusty hinge, crushed olive and vintage photo distress inks.  Here's the front cover...


Added Tim's new grungeblock letters - inked bases with black soot and the letters with brushed corduroy distress ink.   Loving the chunky dimension of these!  Then added a UTEE mask - found the mold at Michael's in their polymer clay section.  Used black UTEE for the mold and then brushed with heirloom gold perfect pearls.

The back cover is much the same....


This binder will eventually find a home at The Queen's Ink as a store sample... hence, the addition to my signature stamp....

Once I had the two covers done, I also covered the spine with kraft resist paper, added the binder ring, and then wrapped sticky back canvas (colored with vintage photo distress stain) around the outside of the binder, covering the front cover, spine and back cover, hinging them together.
Confession time... when I added the binder rings with the brads, I didn't like the "lumpy" feel on the canvas with the brad backing underneath... so I poked the brads all the way through the canvas, and then covered them up with Tim's measuring tape... not technically the way it's supposed to go, but I do like the result! 

On the inside, I used Tim's tissue tape to cover the seams between the covers and spine.


Here's a side view of the binder to give you a teeny sneak peak at the pages coming over the next few days...


I've also been completely preoccupied and busy making preparations to have a certain house-guest from merry old England!  Yes!  I may have mentioned.... In just 8 short days.... I will be at Ranger Industries... hoping that there is a big window looking into the Ranger U classroom so that I can sneak a little peak at the final moments of this year's Ranger U.... and searching the room to find Hels!   (remember the stuffed Garfield cat toys with suction cups on the paws that people would stick in the windows of their cars?  That will be ME looking into that classroom.... I know..... so pathetic.... I don't care... I'm so excited!) 

I'm excited for Hels that she was accepted to Ranger U... really... to be hand-selected by Tim Holtz... quite the honor... not that I'm surprised... and I'm *really* excited that Ranger is only 3 short hours from home!  I'll be driving up on Sunday afternoon.... meeting her at Ranger.... and then going out to dinner with Hels AND the lovely Linda Ledbetter!  Seriously, how lucky am I ??? 

But then.... it gets even better!  I'll spend the night in New Jersey, then Hels and I will drive back to Baltimore on Monday and she'll be staying here with me for the whole week! 

Hope you'll come back to see what's inside the binder!  Have a happy and safe Easter!

~ ellen.

10 comments:

Marjie K said...

Wow, this is just GORGEOUS. Can't wait to see the insides. Your mask out of UTEE is fantastic.

Gillian said...

Ellen .. This piece is inspired, I love it, love the colours on the Kraft Resist, can't wait to see more. Not long now till HRH of Ranger U is with you ... have an awesome time:)

Hels Sheridan said...

you are bonkers.. I am hooting at the vision of you stuck up against the window rofl Still, I CANNOT WAIT!! Not long now.... as for your latest piece of art.. hang on to it before you give it to Patti... i may have to hold it hostage... randsom a thousand packets of Crunchy Cheesy Chester Cheeto's ... I LOVE THIS... tis FABBBY... wanna make one now... can we? huh? can we? say yes!!! CU ... in ... a few hours!! xx

Minxy said...

ART PART BINDERS ROCK, love what you did with yours :D

Lori said...

Gorgeous Ellen, can't wait to see the rest!

Helen said...

Totally gorgeous, can't wait to see inside. Love the vision of you suctioned to the Ranger U windows, hope Hels grabs a photo of that one, lol.

Candy C said...

Hi Ellen! Your book is wonderful! Love everything you'd done on the covers! I'm sure the inside is just as inspiring! I hope I get a chance to meet you when you come to "fetch" Hels and Linda at Ranger U! Thanks for sharing your incredible book with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge! <3 Candy

Kirsten Alicia said...

Love this, can't wait to see what's inside.

Nancy said...

Love this, Ellen! Can't wait to see the insides!

Oh, the image of you, face pressed to the glass ... what a wonderful time you all are going to have!

She said...

Oh Ellen, this is seriously gorgeous. LOVE ♥♥♥ it. S x