Monday, May 23, 2011

Grungy Monday 08

Hello!

This week I am honored to be a guest designer on Studio L3's fabulous weekly challenge, known across the blog-o-sphere as Grungy Monday.  These challenges are devised and hosted each week by one of the sweetest artists on the *planet*.... someone I am honored to call my friend, Linda Ledbetter.

And if that wasn't enough, I have the pleasure of sharing this week's guest designer spot with Sue West, Please make sure you go check out her awesome creation!

This week we're drawing inspiration from a past technique challenge on Tim's blog, called Adirondack Watercolor Stamping:


Here's my piece for this week's challenge.... (sorry... not the best quality picture...)


I started with three ATC size cuts of watercolor paper, and stamped three of Tim's images using the watercolor stamping technique.  (*Confession: I don't have many colors of the Adirondack dye ink pads, so I improvised with distress inks - so don't be afraid to try this technique with other products - it works pretty well!*)


Once I had the images stamped I started adding embellishments:  the "aRt" letters are the new grungeblocks from Tim's latest CHA release.  I inked the bases with black soot distress ink and the letters with brushed corduroy distress ink.  Then added various bits of idea-ology to each ATC. 
The L3 and EV letters are from Tim's new alpha parts.  The white buttons between the L-3 and E-V are from Jenni Bowlin's collection - FAB!


The ATC's are mounted onto cardstock that was whitewashed, then covered with scraps of dictionary paper, and then whitewashed again.  Then mounted the whole piece onto two layers of card stock. After I had taken the pix I was able to find the perfect size black frame to put this in, but I forgot to take more pix.... sorry....


Now.... I have to tell you.... there's a story to go along with this piece.... At the time Linda asked me to be a guest designer for this week's challenge, I knew that I was going to have the opportunity to meet her when I went to pick up Hels from Ranger U... so.... I hatched a sneaky plan.... I wanted to make this piece not only for the weekly challenge, but also as a gift for Linda.  She has been such a special blogging friend to me, and I wanted to give her something to mark the occasion of our meeting each other.... So... look carefully....


L3 = Studio L3 (Linda Lee Ledbetter!)
EV = duh.... that's me.....
and the bingo pieces from Maya Road 5-1-11 = the date that we met each other for the first (and hopefully not the last) time!

And here's the proof that we really did get to meet each other!


Be sure to add your art to the Grungy Monday photo album at the All Things Tim group at Yahoo, too! Lovely List Mom, Gloria, has created this awesome way to share your work with the entire list of talented, supportive Tim fans, and you'll love the community there!

All the products used on this project are available on-line from eclecticPaperie or Simon Says Stamp.

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope you enjoying playing along!  Now go make some fab art!

~ ellen.

21 comments:

Helen said...

fantastic, Ellen - well done on your GD spot, this is gorgeous!!

Candy C said...

Ellen this piece is awesome!! I totally love it! After I teach my class today, I'm going to come home and get busy on a challenge piece! Your work is so fabulous! The watercolor stamping is so cool and then all of the elements you added to it...just blows me away! Truly wonderful piece. You rock, sista! <3 Candy

Terry said...

Congratulations on the GM guest designer for this week. What a fun, fun project! I am glad we can use Distress inks, because I am lacking in the others!

Terry said...

Oh, you have a new GM follower!

Hels Sheridan said...

having seen this in the flesh I can certainly say that your photo really doesn't do the art justice... it is AWESOMe.. so much detail and so very clever and personal too... LOVE it! hugs xx

SusanK said...

Absotively posilutely fab in every way!

Artyjen said...

Great way to commemorate the meeting!
xoxo Sioux

Sue West said...

I just love this. Gorgeous colours, fantastic design details. Spooky that we both used the same pen stamp!!
Sue xx

Lori said...

Fab-u-lous work with this tech, Ellen! I just love the stamping, it's perfect! And the whole piece just rocks!

Plume said...

bravo! What a great canvas!I love your choice of stamps, your coded message, the colors you used. This is truly a fab piece!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous piece, love the embellishments and the stamping technique works beautifully with the stamps you chose. Great idea with the lettering. Tracy x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Great Art work with wonderful elements.

Nancy said...

LOVE this - and what a sweet gift for Linda! And all of the elements - how very, very cool!
Congrats on being a GM guest artist! Well deserved!

Marjie K said...

Sooo cool! Love the details and how the date is included. Very special!

Chris Arlington - Canada said...

Fabulous collage! Congratulations on being guest designer.

Gillian said...

Hey Ellen, Congrats on your GM Guest Artist spot, this project seriously rocks, love the retro design and all the cool personal touches you have added. x

Wendy said...

This is so cool. Linda is very lucky. I love that you used ATC's. They are something that I love to do but have never thought of making a complete piece with them. Thanks for sharing.

Alison said...

This is such a fabulous piece of art Ellen! I love your design!
Alison xx

minnie_mac said...

A stunning piece of artwork. Love the stamping and all those ingenious embellishments.

Marilyn

Jane said...

A-mazing! Your artwork is not only beautiful, it is clever as well. I love the story behind the piece. I too hope to meet Linda one day :-)

Linda Ledbetter said...

I don't need to tell you (but I will, anyway) that this is one of my all-time favorite works of art on the entire plant. You're not only an incredibly talented artist, you're also one of the most genuinely kind and generous people I've ever met, Ellen. You felt like a sister the second I met you, and I"m honored that you're my friend. Thank you for gifting this treasure to me. I admire it every day and think fondly of you.

Much love,
Linda