Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Altered Cabinet

Hi everyone,

I spent some time this weekend altering a little cabinet of drawers I found at a flea market.  When I rescued it, the poor thing was covered in stars and planets, really rather sad.... but with a quick coat of paint, some Ten Seconds Studio metal, and Tim Holtz' texture fades... it was transformed into this!


Since I knew I would be covering the drawer fronts and the sides, I didn't have to paint the entire surface, just the parts that would show.  I used Ranger's brown paint dabber to get the paint onto the cabinet and then brushed over it lightly to smooth it out and give the appearance of wood grain.


Then I cut the sheets of metal (color: bronzed god) to the correct size for each portion of the cabinet and ran it through my Vagabond with Tim Holtz texture fades.  Instant texture.  Sanded the raised portion of each panel to reveal the silver color beneath.


Used sheets of adhesive to cover the entire back of each metal panel, applied to the drawer fronts, cabinet sides, and the top, and burnished the edges down with a paper stump to get rid of sharp edges.


I also lined each drawer with Tim Holtz paper.


I re-used the drawer knobs that were on the cabinet, painting them black and then rubbing Inka Gold (antique silver) over the black base. 


So next time you're at a flea market or antique store and you see something that needs rescuing... keep this in mind.  It's an easy way to transform something old and make it something new!  Have fun playing!

~ ellen x

8 comments:

Helen said...

it looks fantastic! What are you going to keep in it?

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Wow what a transformation, lo e the metal. You would never believe it looked any different, fabulous. Tracy x

Netty said...

Terrific use of the texture fades and you now have a cool cabinet. Annette x

Lori said...

This is total drool material, Ellen. Love that color of metal, looks fab with all that texture, and your sanding is perfect!

Hels Sheridan said...

cor, this looks FAB Ellen... a new lease of life for it indeedily x

Candy C said...

Ellen, this is fabulous! I LOVE metal, texture, color, ALL of it. You took so many elements and made them look really amazing! I love all of it! Way cool piece girlfriend!!! Give yourself a huge pat on the back. <3 Candy

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How cool is this?! So wonderful !

Kirsten Alicia said...

This is wonderful!!!