Thursday, June 2, 2011

Dylusions - Day 1

Hey there!

I hope all is well in your particular part of the world - here in Baltimore it has been sweltering hot for the past 5 days and I am ready for the heat to go away! Fingers crossed....  Before I get to today's project... I want to share a good opportunity to learn something new (for me, anyway)...


I've been looking forward to playing along with Donna Downey's Pan Pastel on-line video series.  The first class is available now, and the second class will be available on June 15.  I've been watching Donna experiment with pan pastels in her Inspiration Wednesday videos, and this is the perfect way to get started and try them out.  I've got my video, and now I'm waiting for all the supplies to arrive so I can get started.  I'll share some of my projects when I get everything.

To help beat the heat, I've been having a good play with Dyan Reaveley's Dylusions stamps (available directly from Art From The Heart in the UK, or at eclecticPaperie in the US).  I've done several since last week and I'll be sharing them over the next few days.  Hope you enjoy.  Here we go with tag #1!


I started by spraying the tag with a few different colors of Ranger's color wash sprays, then spritzing with water to let them blend together.  I've had my eye on this girl from the Ruby Rainbow stamp set - I just love her hair!  And it was the perfect reason to break out my Pearl Pen (copper) - here's a close up of all the sections filled in with dots from the pearl pen.


I love the dimension - looks like dreadlocks, right?  Fun!  I painted in her eyes with a tiny bit of green paint, and gave her lips and boots some extra sparkle with some Xmas Red stickles.

The checkerboard boarder (checker-boarder??) came from the Around the Edge stamp set, also Dylusions.  And the circles were stamped with different caps (mini mister and color wash, I believe) with white and black paint.

The metal corner is from 7 Gypsies newest release - just picked those up at The Queen's Ink - love that they are adhesive backed and ready to add to anything.  The "buttons" on Ruby's coat are silver snaps that I colored with copper alcohol ink.  And, finally, broke out my Inkssentials white pigment pen to fill in some detail on Ruby's collar, coat and stockings.

Added the "express yourself" sentiment, which I just printed out on my printer, and inked with Antique Linen distress ink.  Et voila! 


I'll be back with more Dylusions tags - hope you enjoy following along.  See you tomorrow!

~ ellen

7 comments:

Helen said...

Yes, her dreadlocks are great! Looking forward to your next reveal!

Candy C said...

Ellen...this is absolutely adorable! Girl...you rocked this tag. It is so stinkin' cute. Love the copper hair! I love your background colors using the Color Washes and how you added the red lips and shoes to her ensemble. The mix of checkerboard and circle stamps is really cool, too. I love it. <3 Candy

Lori said...

Totally love this Ellen! That hair IS cool! The colors of your background are fantastic, too!

Hels Sheridan said...

Having seen one like this (am lucky enough to own RasterDolly) I have to say, the pics is good but they just don't get the dimension... tis LUSH!!! xx

Juls said...

gorgeous!! Love the dimesion to her hair!! Hugs Juls

B. said...

Love the hair, but don't understand how you accomplished it. I want to steal your idea. What is a pearl pen and where do you get one?????

ellen vargo said...

Hi B. Pearl pens are made by a company called Viva. They are only just starting to have a bigger presence here in the US. Here's a link to an online site that carries them.

http://search.store.yahoo.net/yhst-75491472215926/cgi-bin/nsearch?query=pearl+pen&first=20&only=0&categ=all&catalog=yhst-75491472215926

If you are local to the Baltimore-Washington area you can also get them at The Queens Ink located in Savage Mills (Savage, MD).

Thanks for stopping by!