Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Homemade Blending Tools

Hey everyone,

I saw a video on you tube of someone making custom blending tools (sorry I can't remember who it was or I would give credit for the idea).  So when I went to the antique store I found a set of 8 antique brass drawer knobs and thought they would be perfect...

Found a long strip of maple trim at Home Depot and Jack cut it down to blending foam size for me... since he has the perfect power tools for this at work... drilled a hole in the center and attached the brass knobs to each block with a screw and.... voila!.... instant custom ink blending tools! 


But I wanted to be able to identify each block by color family... so... I used a combination of either distress stain or distress ink to color the wood blocks.  (Now... the ongoing debate among inky crafters... do you have a blending tool for *every* distress color?  Or do you have one for each color family?  I'm in the color family category myself... I know some of you will be *distressed* by this (haaaaaaa... bad pun... LOL!), but it doesn't bother me... I'm sure some of you will notice that pink and purple are not represented in the pic below... I use them so infrequently that I never bothered with dedicated blending tools for them... on the rare occasion I need them I just swap them out quickly with another blending foam and then quickly switch it back...)


Bought some industrial strength velcro, attached to the base, and then the blending foam pops right on just like the ones from Ranger.  Love it! 

I've been wanting to find a way to have an extra set of blending tools for traveling (to classes, arty retreats, vacations, etc....) and these are just perfect!  Granted, they are a bit heavy, but their coolness more than makes up for it! 


Hope you're having a good week so far... it's insanely hot & humid here on the east coast... definitely INDOORS with A/C for me.  Sounds like a good excuse to go play in my studio! 

See you soon!

~ ellen.

5 comments:

Cindy Lyles said...

Absolute genius!!!! These knobs appear to be much more comfortable in the hand versus what is currently available. Awesome!!

Lori said...

Awesome idea!

Hels Sheridan said...

Aw don't they look just fabberoony Ellen... loving your color (see, I spelt it same as you lol) woodie bits.. Tis a Grand idea indeedily xx

Juls said...

wowzer this is just an amazing idea ... Love these (far better than the shop baught ones) ... Just Love the fact you have coloured the block with your inks so it is easily identifiable!! Hugs Juls

Missusg said...

what a fantastic idea!!!!