Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Simon Says... Show Some Metal

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been AWOL for a couple weeks!  I seem to blog in spurts... must work on that.

This week's theme over on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is... metal.  I'm all about metal... can't think of the last thing I made that didn't have at least a small bit of metal in it, so this challenge is right up my alley.

Last time I went to see Hels, we paid a visit to LB Crafts and I got some nice additions to my artsy stash.  Some wooden pieces to alter, and some 6x6 paper pads that I hadn't seen over here in the states.  Decided it was time to do something with them so here we go:


I started by giving the wood a light sanding to smooth out the rough edges, then applied a coat of the fabulous new fresco finish paint (Paper Artsy).

Then I traced the shape of each side of the wooden piece onto my patterned paper and cut out each piece.  For the inside pieces, I just measured the length and width first, inserted the strip into each section, and then traced the shape needed for the height.


Adhered each piece of paper to the wood using multi medium.  For me it worked best to paint the multi medium onto the back of the paper and then place on the wood surface and burnish down with a bone folder.  Then sanded all the edges and inked with vintage photo distress ink to help blend the paper in with the wood and create a seamless look.


Added loads of idea-ology and other metal trinkets to the sides, and then.... and this is my favorite part... I used a Pearl Pen (copper) to create faux rivets all the way around each edge of the piece. I love the texture this creates and just can't resist the urge to run my finger over them.


Hope you enjoyed this piece.  Thanks for looking!

~ ellen.

9 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love the faux rivets on this piece. Lovely altered piece. Tracy x

Candy C said...

Hey Ellen...way cool piece! I love it!! I am in love with the copper faux rivets! Until I read your piece, I thought they were actually little rivets that you'd hammered in!!! Very cool! I have got to check out these Fresco paints! I've read about them on a couple of people's blogs. You're going to need to educate me on them. I'm guessing they aren't available here? At any rate...LOVE your piece and thank you so much for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

Hels Sheridan said...

tis fabbylicious hun... love the way you used that paper... and the metal embellies finish it lovely. Now then Mrs, more blogging pleasings lol xx

Helen said...

Yup, I love your copper rivets too.... great idea and the whole piece looks amazing.

Diana said...

WOW.... what a fantastical piece of art!!

Lori said...

This looks fabulous, Ellen! Love the paper, the box, the faux rivets, everything! I just love those pearl pens, they're the greatest!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Such a fantastic piece. Love your work and I'm a follower now. Have a nice weekend.

Nancy Wethington said...

What a fab piece you've created! Love the addition of all those little copper dots. Thanks for joining the challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

Gillian .... said...

Hey Ellen, this is a fab piece of art indeed, glad you managed to pick upsome goodies when you were over.

Gillian