Thursday, July 14, 2011

Grungy Monday 15 - Rusted Enamel / and more Stitches!

Hi everyone,

Grab a cuppa coffee.... this is a long one!

This week's theme over on the Grungy Monday Challenge, brilliantly and lovingly hosted by the lovely Linda Ledbetter (say that 3x fast...ha ha..), is to use Tim Holtz' Rusted Enamel technique, demonstrated HERE on Tim's blog way back in 2007 during the very first 12 Tags of Christmas series.   And since the theme on Simon Says Stamp and Show is to use stitches, I figured I'd put my hat in the ring (again!) - I'm falling back in love with my sewing machine this week!

I started by doing the technique on the base of the tag, using scattered straw and brushed corduroy distress inks. You'll have to check out Tim's blog for the specifics... click link above...

Then I started building the tag.  I've had these mini hinges by Graphic 45 for a few months and finally was inspired to use them!  Here's the completed tag...


I'll get back to the hinge later... let's start on the left... I stamped Tim's long skinny message stamp onto plain white copy paper, tore the edges around the text, inked with antique linen distress ink, and then crumpled the whole thing into a little ball.  Un-crumpled and then ran brushed corduroy lightly over the surface so it only caught the high points of the wrinkles.  Then sewed black stitches around the edges.


Then, I pulled out these mini envelopes, also by Graphic 45, and added a mini tag on top, doing some background stamping in brushed corduroy, and the main message stamp in black archival ink (all Tim Holtz stamps).  Added some grungeboard wings (from the mini grunge set), painted with gold paint dabber and black archival swept over the top.  Sewed black stitching around the edge of the tag.


Notice the little arrow on the left?  That's supposed to tell you that there's something else to look at.... Here we go... and here's the hinge part....


Cool right?  So.... the envelope/tag that shows in the original pic at the top of this post is actually the back side of the hinged tag, closed up (hope that made sense....).

I hinged two envelopes together.... so.... on the two "inside tags" I added two small tags, also did background stamping in brushed corduroy and message stamps in black archival ink (again, all Tim Holtz stamps).  Added another arrow, pointing right, and a mini grunge crown to the tag on the left, painted with gold paint dabber.  Sewed black stitching around the edges of these tags, too. 

Added an antique brass heart charm (AC Moore clearance bin!) to the bottom of the envelope with a memo clip. 


The fibers tied to the tags are actually recycled silk fibers... I found a big ball of it when I visited the American Visionary Arts Museum a few weeks ago - cool place - cool gift shop! 


And, finally, added a grungepaper flourish and grunge butterflies (both from Tim's Alterations dies).  Inked the flourish with vintage photo distress stain, and the butterflies (2 layers) with wild honey distress stain.  Stamped the butterfly (front and back) with one of Tim's antique label stamps in coffee archival ink, ran cranberry paint around the edges, added black pearl pen dots to the body, and sandwiched a game spinner between the two butterflies.

Here's the finished tag - opened up.


Hope you enjoyed this project - thanks for stopping by!

~ ellen.

17 comments:

Kaz said...

Omg Ellen I'm drooling over this, wow it's so up my street I love it! That hinge is just fab-u-lous! I adore it....... Another top three me thinks, you got my vote xx kazxx

Minxy said...

I have had ickle hinges for absolutely ages and never even thought to add them to something like this, its truly stunning x

sasa said...

This is an absolute stunner - so creative, so much to admire and discover! Loving the details, textures and proportions and the hinged book is just fabulous all over. With all that lovely stitching do we get also get to see it at Simon Says??? Seeing as we're all stitched up this week! Go on defend your title...LOL! Amazing work Ellen.

Kirsten Alicia said...

Wow, that is completely stunning, awesome & gorgeous!

Nancy said...

Ellen, this is awesome!! I've not bought those hinges - I keep looking at them, though. Now I know I have to get them! (lol)

Helen said...

What a stunner. I agree, another top spot for you this week! Love that heart, it's fab.

Nancy Wethington said...

You are blowing me away with your art. This is gorgeous! Love your style and all you put into each piece you create. Thanks for joining the challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

Candy C said...

Ellen...do you get headaches from all of the creative stuff that's spinning in that head of yours? This piece is way cool! Love everything about it!! Thanks for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

Lori said...

Love it! Such creative goodness! Love how that opens up, really brilliant idea!

Sid said...

Beautiful collection of elements all looking perfect together !

Gillian .... said...

Seriously Ellen ... one word "stunning", this tag is so awesome, loving those hinges. xx

Jane said...

OH so creative. It took me 5 minutes or more just to absorb all the layers and details. You gave me many items of inspiration! Thank you

Kim Dellow said...

Wow wonderful! Totally love it! Kim

Sam said...

This is absolutely stunning. Well done Ellen!

PsyPenguin said...

Wow! what can I say - this is fantastic! such a great idea with the hinges and I love the mini tags with the different sentiments x

LynneForsythe said...

OMW......such GRUNGE~0~LICIOUS gooodness girl.....every little bit of it!!!

THANKS BUNCHES for playing along with the Teamies and Simon Says Stamp and Show!!!

Hels Sheridan said...

Another stunning make hun, love the hinges, they make the whole thing tie together perfectly, fab elements and composition... LURVE this!!! xx