abstract obsession

abstract obsession

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Dylusional Weekend

Hello!

Sorry I've been out of touch, but I'm sure you'll understand since I was lucky enough to spend the entire weekend at The Queen's Ink with none other than THE Dyan Reaveley!!!  As most of you will know, Dyan is the force behind the Dylusions line of stamps, which just had their second release (12 new sets!) at CHA - and yes - we were lucky enough to have them in the store!!!  This weekend marked Dyan's first in-store teaching "gig" in America, and it was absolutely *PERFECT*.

Our adventure started on Friday evening with Dyan teaching our monthly "Two Tag Minimum" class.  We learned about color wash, gesso, stencil spraying, and used some of her brand new character stamps!  We were a little short on time so I was rushing, so these aren't the best thing I've ever done, but here they are...
"Arsey" girl had an accident with a puddle of worn lipstick distress stain so has a very bad case of rosacea---where's that "oops" stamp??? LOL)

Then the real fun began on Saturday morning!  Dyan taught THREE classes on Saturday, and then the same three on Sunday (yes - 11 hours of teaching each day!).  I took ALL the classes on Saturday so I could help out in the store on Sunday... here we go with the first class.... we made a mini book using kraft resist paper, gesso, distress stains (we had the honor of having all the new colors available in the store!!!), learned the "Dyan wiggle", used lids for stamping in black and white, and then hand-sewed the whole book together with a sticky back canvas binding... here's a shot of the pages with just gesso and distress stain...


and here's a few pix of the finished book pages....



On to the second class, which was a canvas project... you may have seen this project before as Dyan taught it at CHA in January - the difference is that the folks at CHA didn't have time to do the whole background (they got scanned versions of the background - we made it ourselves - lucky us!). I love the vibrant colors, painting with color wash / distress stains, and painting with perfect pearls (bird and flowers). 

  
And, last but certainly not least, the third class.... my favorite.... the Accordion Book.  We used color wash to lay a vibrant background on watercolor paper, front and back, and then did lots of layering with stencils, gesso, color wash sprays, perfect pearl mists, etc. and hand-sewed the mini pages in.  We didn't get to add in all the stamped images during class, so I spent a lot of time yesterday working on this book and will share more detailed pix when it's done.... but here's a few....



And, finally.... a pic with me and Dyan... this was taken after the last class on SUNDAY... about 10:30 or 11:00 pm... so if we look a little bleary-eyed please be forgiving.... I don't know how Dyan managed it, but she was a bundle of energy the entire weekend, and gave every single student a fantastic experience - she is so kind, so generous, and just a bundle of fun and love.  Life is GOOD and I'm so happy I got to share in this experience!  Thanks Dyan... and a BIG thanks to "Queen" Patti who owns The Queen's Ink for making this happen and being her awesome self. 


Hope you all had a wonderful weekend - now it's back to reality.... see you soon!

~ ellen.

8 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, what a weekend! I have met Dyan at shows here in the UK and she is such fun - love the look of the classes, the projects are fabulous.

Juls said...

wow so many gorgeous inspirational makes! Hugs Juls

StampDancer said...

Everything looks wonderful! I'm green with envy - you have one of the new stamp sets already! Lucky lady!
Deb M

Lori said...

Looks fantastic Ellen! Really love the backgrounds and the vibrant colors!

betjunroe said...

I so enjoyed meeting you on Sat. If it weren't for your blog, I wouldn't know who Dyan was or how fantastic her art is. Your projects look amazing! I'm hoping to perfect my technique and make more mini books and canvases. It's so addictive. My hat is off to Patti too for having such a great artist! Thanks again for your inspiration! Bette

Hels Sheridan said...

you poor thing having to go through all of that and be forced to sit and make stuff.... ROFL Looks like you had a ball hun... LOVE that canvas, I wanna make one of those! Oh and that tshirt... LIKE that... A LOT lol Thanks for sharing hun...xxx

Gillian .... said...

Wow what a weekend Ellen, love the canvas & journals, would love to do a Dyan workshop. x

Dylan said...

Hi gorgeous, I should be thanking you for your generosity and helpfullness in everything you did. You were my best bitch, lol. Loved teaching at the Queens, and meeting such fabulous people. Can't wait to do it all again In January. xx Ps can finally get a pair of shoes back on my feet. !!