Monday, July 4, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show.... a Flourish!

Hello again!

I know... shocking... back again so soon!  This week's theme over at the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge Blog is to use a flourish in a project.  It just so happens that I just finished a project using a flourish and wanted to share it with you.  Since this project is a gift I can only share the part with the flourish.... fair is fair...


I started with some corrugated cardboard, cut it down to roughly the size of a #8 manila tag.  Painted the whole base with red pepper paint dabber, accented the high spots with gold paint dabber, and then ran the black paint dabber around the edges.
Then, I found this AMAZING bark ribbon at JoAnn's... never seen anything like it before and HAD to have it!  I've been hoarding it for the right project, and this was it!  I stapled a length of the "bark" down the front of the cover.  WOW - instant awesome texture.

The LiFe letters are grungeboard, painted with white paint dabber and accented with both coffee and jet black archival inks (fingertip accents, just dab your finger on the inkpad and run lightly over the letters).

Now... for the flourish.... used Tim Holtz' mini flourish die to cut a flourish out of cardboard, used meadow paint dabber, and accented with coffee archival ink.  Now... I will say.... adhering this to such a deeply textured surface was a bit of a challenge, but multi medium and a HEAVY BOOK did the trick.


The flower is a new discovery.... Imaginisce has some new flower kits that are really rather cool!  Basically they are die-cut shapes with all kinds of different edging (scalloped, pinked, straight, pennant, you name it) all in a swirl shape.  You punch out the shape, grab your tweezers, start at the outside and roll the shape around and around on itself until you end up with a tightly wound spiral.  The center of the die cut is a circle base.  Let go of the tweezers and it will un-wind.  Adjust the shape as desired and use hot glue to adhere the flower to the base.  I also curled each petal with the skinny end of a paintbrush.  It may sound complicated, but really it's very simple.  Love them!  Added some gold stickles to the tips! 

Sorry I can't share the rest of the project but that just wouldn't be fair to my friend.... maybe after she gets it I'll share some more. 

Happy 4th of July to all my US friends!  Stay safe!

~ ellen.

11 comments:

Kaz said...

Ellen this is gorgeous love all the different textures, fab work!!

happy 4th july

Kazxx

Candy C said...

Oh Wow!! Ellen...you shouldn't have! I'll be so anxious to get this in the mail! haha Seriously, it is a wonderful piece! Looks like a little mini book of some sort. Love the corrugated base and all of texture you did to the cover...WOW! <3 Candy

Lori said...

OMG, I totally love this. That bark ribbon, gotta get me some...now.... awesome, awesome, awesome! Oh, and thanks for joining the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

Nancy said...

As always, Ellen, you've created something beautiful! I can't wait to see the rest of it - I know it's outstanding!!

Minxy said...

Great texture and interest, i'm sure your friend will love it :)

StampDancer said...

Seriously fabulous! Hope in future you'll share full pics after your friends gets the gift.
Deb M
xx

Juls said...

fabulous!!!! I love the gorgeous bright colours! Hugs Juls

LynneForsythe said...

totally GRUNGE~0~LICIOUS!!great details!

THANKS bunches for playing along with the Teamies and Simon Says Stamp and Show!!!

Shazza said...

Hels is right, you are yet another talented lady x

Jane said...

Great tag. I'm so glad you shared. You are so right - that bark ribbon is fabulous!

Nancy Wethington said...

Ellen, you did it again - another beauty. So happy you share your talent. Thanks for joining the challenge on Simon Says Stamp & Show.