Monday, July 11, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show... some Stitching!

Hi stampers!

My luck is running well lately... last week I made a tag and it fit perfectly with the theme... and this week the same thing happened!  I made this tag on Sunday, and then Monday the new challenge was announced... stitching... perfect!

This week's theme on Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge is to show some stitching... faux or for-real... my tag has a lot of real stitching and a little bit of the faux variety... and here it is...


It has been entirely too long since I had a proper play with my Studio 490 stamps and I thought it was high-time they were brought out and loved.... I started by inking my tag background with Old Paper and Frayed Burlap distress inks, and added Brushed Corduroy to the edges.  Then I used vintage photo and walnut stain distress stains to make these splats.  It's a shame most of them got covered up with other elements - they're pretty cool...


Then used the ledger and definition stamps with coffee archival ink to cover the tag background, and then used the circle background with jet black archival ink over that.  The circles are so thin that using black in the background doesn't hurt the overall appearance.

Then I used these new matching stamps and dies from Memory Box to make a mini tag and a mini folder.  I folded one label in half to make a folder, and then stamped the writing hand and *important stuff inside* from Studio 490 on the folder.  Inked with same DI's as tag background.


I took the other tag, whose matching stamp is a ledger background, and stamped the *rules to live by* stamp on it - the items lined up perfectly with the lines on the ledger - I love when that happens!  Also added the Studio 490 flourish.


I ran the big tag, the little tag, and the folder through my sewing machine to sew black stitching around all the edges.  I wanted to use stitching on all three elements to give the tag a consistent design element. 

Added the sprocket/gear/game spinner to the edge of the envelope, and then attached the envelope to the tag with my tiny attacher, making faux "x" stitches.  Added some Tim Holtz rosette trimmings, stained with antique linen and vintage photo distress stains, and the 7 Gypsies chipboard clock button with a Maya Road bingo chip in the center to the bottom, and finally, added the "love" key to the top, using a memo clip and jump ring.


I haven't done anything this mono-chromatic in a while - it's a nice change and it's a good way to focus on good design, because the color is the only thing that doesn't stand out. 

Thanks for stopping by - hope you have a great week - see you soon - I've got more art to share - been having fun with Dylusions again!   My countdown has begun... only 11 days until Dyan Reaveley arrives at The Queens Ink!  Woohoooooo!!!

~ ellen.

15 comments:

Candy C said...

Oh Ellen!!! I do SO love your tag! Oh my goodness...love the colors, the stamped images, the pocket with the "RULES TO LIVE BY" inside, the Ideaology you added...and the stitching! Perfection! Love it ALL!!! Thanks for sharing your amazing art with all of us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

Helen said...

Such beauty! Fab tag Ellen.

Nancy Wethington said...

Ellen, I love this tag. The stitching is fabulous! Thanks for joining the challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

Wanda H said...

Fabulous tag!!!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

The splats are great, so are the colors and layout!

Thanks for entering Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge.
--Renee, Simon Says Stamp

Lori said...

Love this Ellen! The mono color scheme is really fantastic with all those wonderful elements!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely tag, beautifully decorated. Tracy x

Kirsten Alicia said...

Wow, that's beautiful.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Beautiful tag, love the use of all the metal things.

Nancy said...

LOVELOVELOVE this! (Aren't the splats fun to make with the DS's???)

Sid said...

A gorgeous distreesed tag !!

Gillian .... said...

Way to go Ellen, this is sew cool ... love the ledger and rules to live by, another inspiring piece of art. xx

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This is fabulous. Great vintage style sepia tones and wonderful images. Must check out the new Memory Box die - looks wonderful. Terrific take on the sewing challenge. So happy you joined in the fun with us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show@!

PsyPenguin said...

Gorgeous tag! Love your rules to live by. x

Hels Sheridan said...

oooh, ahhhh, I LOVE THIS more than I love Cheesy Chester Cheeto's!!!!