Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show - A Tim Holtz Technique

Hi everyone,

This week's theme on the Simon Stays Stamp and Show Challenge is to use a Tim Holtz technique.  As a self-proclaimed "Holtz-a-holic", this was the perfect week to participate!  Be sure to go check out all the amazing art and if you play along you have a chance to win a $50 shopping spree at Simon Says Stamp

I started with a blank tag - I spritzed it lightly with water and then and applied 3 colors of the awesome new distress stains - crushed olive, black soot and picket fence.   I then spritzed again with water to help the colors blend to create a marbled look - here is the result:


Then I stamped the french script collage background from Tim's "Papillon" stamp set, using jet black archival ink.  Normally I try to use anything but black in the background stamping, so that the main images can be stamped in black and will stand out as focal images, but since there is so much black already in the background, I decided to try this out - I like the result.
Then I watered down some white paint and dripped it down the length of the tag, spraying lightly with water to help it run and bleed.  I have to remember to take more pix during the progression of projects.... but here's the finished tag:


Once the background was complete, I cut two of the mini flourishes with Tim's movers and shapers die and colored them with crushed olive distress stain, applying black soot distress ink to the left side to create a subtle shadow.

Then I cut three mini butterflies (also Tim's movers and shapers dies) out of raw canvas, and colored them with wild honey and aged mahogany distress stains.  Then applied copper stickles to the edges, and added game spinners for the bodies.


Added the "fly" letters using Tim's alpha parts, and gently applied some Copper Inka Gold with my finger.  Added the "Altered" philosophy tag with a charm clip, and the "15" plaquette as final embellishments.


Hope you liked this tag - I had a lot of fun with this one - love the "drippage" over the collaged background - and my addiction to distress stains is growing with every project! 

Have a good week - see you soon!

~ ellen.

15 comments:

Minxy said...

A fab transformation, super duper taggage

Nancy said...

COOL tag! Love the colors - and those butterflies rock!

SusanK said...

This is so splendiferous!

Helen said...

Ellen, this is fab - love the stained tag before you even decorated it - but just wonderful finished!!

Nancy Wethington said...

Gorgeous! Love the background technique and those butterflies are popping right off that tag. Thanks for joining the challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your tag Ellen, great background and I love those butterflies. Tracy x

PsyPenguin said...

Wonderful tag, the background looks really cool with the black script and the canvas butterflies are a great contrast. xx

Marjie Kemper said...

Totally gorgeous! Amazing what the little bit of stickles adds on the butterflies... great idea!

Ohhh Snap said...

What a marvelous tag! And everytime I look at it I see a detail I missed before! I'm especially loving those butterflies with their spinner bodies and stickles! TFS :D

Hels Sheridan said...

Gorgilicious.. LOVE those colours together... perfect combo! And the butterflies are fab, they just pop right off the tag... hugs hun XX

Gillian .... said...

Hi Ellen, loving your Black Soot background, aren't those DS just the best! Love the way the butterflies really jump right out at ya! x

Faith Maupin said...

Really great tag! Love your background - nice effect with this technique!

Kaz said...

Hello lovely!

Wow this is sooooo lush!! I so want, no i mean need picket fence!!Love what you have created Ellen its awesome xx

Kazxx

Candy C said...

Hey Ellen! This is lovely! I love the techniques you used and how it all finished out! Welcome to the DT buddy! Can't wait to see your first project on THIS side of the blog! haha <3 Candy

Trish said...

Great piece, very clever and imaginative!