Monday, August 22, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show... Travel

Hello!

Thanks for all the amazing feedback and warm welcome from last week's challenge!  You guys really rocked the bling!  This week's challenge over on the Simon Says Stamp and Show blog is to do a project using *TRAVEL* as a theme.  Be sure to check out the challenge and see all the amazing projects from the Design Team!

Before I get to this week's project I want to tell you about a really exciting blog hop coming up!  For the second year in a row, Simon Says Stamp and Show & The Simon Says Stamp Challenge are joining forces to bring you a SUPER hop and treasure hunt to celebrate the approaching fall and winter holidays.  Be sure to come back on August 31st to start the hop.  It will run through September 5th.  Simon Says Stamp is offering some great prize packages, and there will be other opportunities to win some blog candy, too!

OK... now on to my project.... I have to tell you... I LOVE maps... any kind of map... but old maps are even cooler.  A few months ago we were antique-ing and I found this amazing old Atlas - we had one just like this when I was growing up, so of course I had to have it!  It's dimensions are 14" x 19".  So when I saw that this week's challenge was *Travel* I knew I had to use those maps!  Here we go!


I cut a section of map out of the book, and then cut two pieces to be the same height and 3x the width of a #8 shipping tag.  I used a glue stick to glue the two pieces together, so the front and back are both showing the map side.  Then I did a tri-fold so the folded up "map" is exactly the size of a #8 tag.  I held up an actual #8 tag to the folded up map and snipped the corners, and punched a hole at the top.   Here's how it looked at this point:


I wanted the maps to look old and worn, so I used masking tape over the folds, front and back, to give the impression that they were torn and had to be mended.  Then I crumpled the whole thing up into a ball... then un-crumpled and started inking up the maps to age them.  I used brushed corduroy distress ink over the whole surface, and then applied vintage photo over the crumpled spots, and some walnut stain distress stain to my craft sheet, spritzed with water, and pressed the map into it to look like coffee stains.  Then I used a baby wipe to apply a very thin layer of gesso over the whole map, and then used brushed corduroy and walnut stain distress inks again.


Then I cut the word "JOURNEY" using THIS die, using  Distress Core-dinations card stock.  Sanded the brown paper to reveal the lighter base, attached to tan paper underneath, and inked over with brushed corduroy DI.  Attached to far left side with my tiny attacher.


Used the harlequin stamp from THIS set and the arrow stamp from THIS set to place some accents around the border, using jet black archival ink.  Inked around them with white gel pen.


The sentiments (which can be found HERE and HERE) were stamped either on manila card stock or a journaling ticket, inked with brushed corduroy, and given a generous coat of rock candy crackle paint.


Stamped the small jalopy from THIS set twice with Black Perfect Medium and then embossed with clear embossing powder.  Inked over the embossed cars with brushed corduroy DI and added accents with white gel pen.  Adhered with foam tape for dimension.


Used my new (*awesome*) picket fence distress stain on some grungeboard to get a white surface, and then stamped the compass from THIS set in black archival.  Toned the white down with some vintage photo DI.  (**TIP: if you use white distress stain, or gesso, or white paint under distress inks, you get a chalky pastel result - so vintage photo turns out very light when it dries**).  Used a tiny bit of multi medium (matte) to adhere the compass to the optical lens (7 Gypsies), added a game spinner with foam tape, and attached to the tag with some ball chain and a charm clip.


Adhered 3 trinket pins (Tim Holtz) using multi medium, and then added some Maya road trinket pins (star and rhinestones, colored with butterscotch alcohol ink).  Added some antique brass charms (heart and fleur-de-lis)  from my personal stash, using ball chain and charm clips.  Added a grungepaper pull tab to the right (colored with brushed corduroy DI), with a tiny attacher, and finished it off with some rag ribbon and jute to the tag tops.


Here's a pic of the tags folded up, and once again all opened up...



Hope you enjoyed this week's project.  As usual, if you have a question please leave it in the comments section and I'll do my best to answer it for you!  But don't forget to leave your email address!

Be sure to join in the challenge this week!  If you do, you'll have a chance at winning a $50 shopping spree with Simon Says Stamp.... and really... who doesn't love free stash??? Get busy!

Thanks for stopping by - have a great week!

~ ellen.

14 comments:

Vic said...

I love it! The folding idea is great.

Helen said...

What a work of art - I love this!! So many fab little touches - all just right.

Kaz said...

AWESOME!! this is fabulous loads of elements to look at Ellen, love the map too xx

Kazxx

Terry said...

Wowzersss Ellen love your Piece of Art, absolutely fabulous. All the detailled picci's are just great, thank you for sharing sweetie hugs terry xxxx

Alison Horne said...

This is STUNNING Ellen, nothing more to be said!x

Candy C said...

Ellen, this is so wonderful! I love all the details you did on this. Great background...using an old map! The way you finished it out is just AMAZING! <3 Candy

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love the fact you used an old map Ellen, fabulous touch and I think I really need that JOURNEY die now too LOL. Fabulous piece decorated wonderfully for our travel theme. Tracy x x

Lori said...

Really spectacular Ellen! Love how you used the map, great detail! Awesome!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Oh my goodness what a stunning creation from the basis of a map, Ellen! The sentiment is perfect and I love the placement of your embellishments :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Terrific piece, Ellen, just chocked full of wonderful bits and bots. The old map is just terrific and I love the way you applied gesso over it to tone it down, but my favorite thing is the masking tape - too cool.

sasa said...

What a wonderful creation Ellen - loving all these vintage tones and Tim eye candy! All the elements work together beautifully and I love how it looks fabulous laid open and just perfect when closed. Hope you are enjoying seeing your work out there! Enjoy the spotlight girl!

Gillian .... said...

Loving the sepia tones and so many cool and wonderful elements to look at Ellen, another fab DT project. x

Marjie Kemper said...

LOVE this! So creative using the map and making it into a tri-fold. Love all your inking and stamping!

Hels Sheridan said...

yahyahyah... MR Blogger lets me comment again!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE... this!!!!

**guessing I LOVE IT!!!*

Colours = perfection
Stamps = perfection
Embellies = perfection

Need to get my bum over to yours to see this in the real cos I am sure it will be even lovelier... so I can LOVE it a bit more ;o))

Big hugs hun... STAY SAFE!!! XXX