Saturday, August 6, 2011

SSSS... a Tag! / Grungy Monday 18

Hello!

I've been so excited and energized since my classes with Dyan Reaveley, that I thought it was time to pay some attention to some other favorite designers.... namely the lovely Wendy Vecchi!  This week's theme on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is to make a tag.  How could I not participate... I *love* tags and have been wanting to play with the new Studio 490 stamps and Art Parts. 

Also.... this week's theme on the Grungy Monday Challenge is to use THIS technique from Tim's prior 12 Tags of Christmas (2009, Day 8).  Be sure to check out these two challenges as they're both full of amazing techniques to jump-start your creativity, and are filled with amazing artists participating...

Soooooo.... off we go...


I started by spraying the tag with some water, and then added distress stains (aged mahogany, crushed olive, forest moss, and brushed corduroy)... isn't it *LOVELY* to have the whole distress palate available in stain version?  LOVE THEM!  Spraying the tag with water first really helps the stains to blend and bleed together.  If you add the stains to a dry tag, then tend to soak in much faster and it's hard to get that blended look..... anyway... back to our story....

Then I added some cross-hatched accents using my craft scraper and gesso (both white and black) - learned this technique from Dyan and it's just another great way to add texture and interest to your backgrounds.  Then I used the Studio 490 alphabet background stamp using coffee archival ink.


Then, I used the technique described in Tim's blog with the vellum script - click the link above for details.

Now it's time to get back to Wendy's fab new art parts....  I coated the large heart with aged mahogany distress stain, and then used meadow paint dabber on Wendy's new square dots background (I've dubbed this stamp the squareka-dot stamp - LOL!).  Using a paint dabber for stamping is a great way to get a lighter color accent to show up on a darker background.


I primed the wings with a light coat of white gesso, and then used crushed olive and forest moss distress stains over the gesso (gives a shabby, chalky look), and gold paint dabber on the art part lock and the art part key, accenting them both with coffee archival to age them a bit.  Also used gold paint dabber on Tim's idea-ology crown. 


Added the cool metal corner (Graphic 45), and the 'Live Your Dream' sentiment (Studio 490) with foam tape for dimension, and the idea-ology hanger with chain, with the heart/key charm by 7 Gypsies hanging from it. 

Hope you had a good week - I'm SOOO glad it's the weekend... was a long week at work... plus it's my birthday on Sunday.... and being a good Baltimore girl I am having jumbo steamed crabs for my birthday dinner!  YUMMM... can taste them already!

Have a great weekend!

~ ellen.

18 comments:

Helen said...

Lovely Ellen - all your elements work so well together. Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

Candy C said...

Hi Ellen! Your tag is wonderful! I love all the colors, the stamping and then all the layering you added to this! WOW! It is really cool! <3 Candy

Kaz said...

Oooo happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Ellen, happy birthday to you xxxxx

I adore this ellen, it's gorgeous,wonderful and yummy have a great weekend ........sending love and hugs xx

,kazx

Jo said...

Lovely colours and bits and bobs! Thanks for the tip on water before stains - off to try! jo xx

Martha Richardson said...

Love this tag :0

Yours Artfully said...

Gorgeous tag Ellen!!! Hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow with lots of stash and cake!!!

JulieD said...

Gorgeous, the elements work brilliantly together. Happy Birthday for tomorrow!

Judy Wood said...

Very pretty tag! I LOVE layers! You've done a great job! Kudos!

Hels Sheridan said...

GORGEOUS... I call it the Squolka-dot... and I NEED IT NOW!!! lol Hope you having the time of your life this weekend hun ... have a smidge of crab for me XX

Martina2801 said...

Your work is just amazing. I love looking at your creations!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Just a wonderful tag.

Debbie said...

Beautiful tag! Love your design and technique! Happy Birthday! :)

Sara said...

Lovely tag, and appreciate the tip about wetting the card first before staining it...Thanks!

Dan said...

Wonderful tag Ellen, I love that folk heart! I've done classes with Dyan too, so I know what you mean about feeling energized! :) The Design Team are really pleased that you joined us for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week - Thank you!

Marjie Kemper said...

So many beautiful layers... love your tag!

Kirsten Alicia said...

Happy birthday Ellen, hope you're having a wonderful day.
This tag is fantastic, I've had a lovely time oohing over all the details.

Lori said...

Ooooo, this is awesome, Ellen! Love all those scrummy layers!

Terry said...

Beautiful layers and elements! Such an outstanding tag with a great design! Big wow factor!