Monday, September 26, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show - Men Only

Hello!

This week's theme on Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge blog is to do a "men only" project.  Manly themes are often difficult in this craft since so many of the papers and embellishments are geared towards more feminine styles.... But I was going through some old family albums and found an old picture of my Dad and two uncles when they were very young (Dad is on right) and used it as inspiration for a hand-made mini book, celebrating "brothers". 


The covers are cut from a cardboard box, painted with distress crackle paint and edged with tissue tape.  The chipboard frames are from Maya Road.   Added some Idea-ology sprocket gearsgame spinner, and alpha part letters, and some fabulous metal corner that Hels gave to me when I went to visit her last year.  

Inside, the pages are made from Kraft Resist paper and various colors of distress stains.  


To each page, I added a picture from Tim Holtz' Lost and Found paper stack, a chipboard frame from Maya Road, which I colored with distress stains and accented with Inka Gold.


I stained some vintage lace with brushed corduroy distress stain, and added a philosophy tag and some bark ribbon I found in a local craft store.


Then I tried to think of all the different things that brothers can mean to each other, and stamped each idea out with some mini alphabet stamps I've had for SO long I can't even remember where I got them... they were one of the first sets of stamps I ever bought!  They are similar to THESE by Hero Arts.



I added each word to the page, and then distressed them just a little bit with antique linen distress ink.


Finally... I bound the book together using The Cinch with 1" binding rings

I hope you enjoyed this mini book... remember to join in the "manly" theme this week - you could win a $50 shopping spree with Simon Says Stamp!


Have a great week!

~ ellen.

14 comments:

Helen said...

what a great book to commemorate the men in your life!

She said...

Great Book Ellen. Love it! S xx

Nancy Wethington said...

So happy you showed the inside pages! Love how you framed each photo and gave a short caption. And you used lace with manly images!!!!! YEAH!!! So many wouldn't have done that and it works beautifully with this. FABulous project!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous keepsake Ellen, love the framed photos which you have embellished beautifully. The covers look fantastic in the crackle paint, you would never know you created them from simple card. Tracy x

Candy C said...

Ellen, I love your book. It's a wonderful "Manly" piece and love that it's a tribute to your dad and uncles. I'm so glad you showed the inside pages. Love the colors and the simple designs on the interior...wonderful little framed pictures and then captions. It's a great little heirloom book! <3 Candy

Lynne Forsythe said...

OH Ellen.....your "manly" mini is simply AMAZING!! love every little bit of it and those pictures are PRICELESS!!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Wonderful book! Love the way you included a word charm on each page... they complement your stamped titles beautifully. And the old pics are really great. A lovely tribute!

betjunroe said...

Wow Ellen, this is way cool! I love how you tied each page together with the tokens and tags. It's so hard to make art for men, but you nailed it! Bette

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

What a fabulous project you created with this week's theme, Ellen. Love all the wonderful vintage tones and wonderful embellishments. And I really like that it's a mini album - sensational family keepsake. Terrific take on this week's challenge.

Hope you have a great week.

Hugs,
Linda

Lori said...

Woot woot! Fab project, Ellen, just love all the details on the pages..

Kaz said...

Ellen this is just beautiful!! Another gorgeous make xx

kaz xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Such a great project with fantastic details, really a little treasure.

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

What a fabulous project and tribute to your dad and uncles! I LOVE it! The colors, the captions...all perfect! :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Sarah said...

You've created a very lovely book indeed Ellen and I really love the consequent colours, images and design. So perfectly put together and a real nostalgic beauty - a great DT piece!