Monday, September 12, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show - Steampunk!

Hi everyone!

Before we get started let me say a HUGE thank you to everyone for the massive number of comments during Simon Says Stamp's super blog hop.  I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to leave me some love...

This week we're getting "punky" over at Simon Says Stamp and Show, where the theme is STEAMPUNK.  I decided to work with an extra large manila tag this week.  I can't seem to get enough of making tags...


I started by using papers from Tim Holtz' Crowded Attic stack and Graphic 45's Steampunk Debutante collection to cover the base of the tag.


Then used Tim Holtz dies (weathered clock and mini gadget gears) to weave a pattern of clocks and gears, painted with Ranger's black paint dabber and highlighted with gold paint dabber.


Added some idea-ology sprocket gears, a 7 Gypsies metal corner, and a sentiment from Dyan Reaveley's Quintessential Quotes stamp set.


Topped it off with some crinkled ribbon from May Arts.

Be sure to check out the other projects this week - the design team have really out-done themselves!  Join in the fun and you'll have the chance to win a $50 shopping spree from Simon Says Stamp!


Hope to see your work this week!  Get 'punky!

~ ellen.

17 comments:

Helen said...

Love your steampunk themed tag!!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely steampunk tag, love the papers and all the gringy cogs, I really do need to make more tags. Take care. Tracy x

Trish said...

wow, this is fantastic! such inspiration!

Candy C said...

Ellen...this piece ROCKS! I totally LOVE the idea of using the portions of a weathered clock die and then weaving gears between them! That looks so cool! I totally love how you finished out all of the die cut parts as well. Very grunge and amazingly cool! This tag is amazing!!! I really love your sentiment as well. Very very wonderful piece! <3 Candy

Jo said...

Love the tag, all grungy and industrial- can just about hear those cogs and clocks whirring away! jo xx

Kaz said...

OooooooOOOOOOOoo i likey lots and lots!! very cool, love the clock and cogs fabulous xxxx
kaz xx

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Terrific Steampunk piece, Ellen! The warm vintage colors are so pleasing and I love the texture of the clock parts - and I really like the way you only used pieces of the clock face instead of the whole - very artsy and something I probably wouldn't think to do. The quote is wonderful too - I always love art with a meaning!

Hope you are having a great week.

Hugs,
Linda

Nancy Wethington said...

Ellen, love the way your creative mind works. This is so *gorgeously steampunky*. Love it!

Kirsten Alicia said...

LOVE this. All the steampunkery is perfect for me.

Lori said...

Love it, Ellen! That clock looks fabulous all over the tag, and the sentiment is awesome!

Fliss said...

A fabulous tag Ellen. Just love the detail on the weathered clock sections and gears. Great text too.
Thanks for your kind comment too which I really appreciate.
Fliss x

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Very very beautiful piece, Ellen! I really love the way you assembled the sprockets and the sentiment is quite thought provoking :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Sarah said...

Ellen these tones and textures are just so wonderful. Elegant and grungy Steampunk! I love the colours and your composition is fab - and I can never get enough of words... It's all lovely - all over...!
Sarah x

betjunroe said...

Hi Ellen--this is way cool. I've been thinking about how to use the clock on a tag. You are so clever to use parts of it on your tag! Bette

Dragon said...

I LOVE this... it is restrained - I mean that the temptation is often to throw stuff on and get cluttered!! You have made a great design with your embellies, and they are all the more effective for it
Frankie
xx

Gillian .... said...

Hey Ellen ... ahhhhhh a woman after my own heart when it comes to the extra large size tags, I LOVE this mechanical masterpiece, great composition ... love love love:) xxx

Lynne Forsythe said...

Ellen....how WONDERFUL is your "PUNKY" tag...so many AMAZING details all on one tag!! AWESOMENESS!!