Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dylusions Mailbox

Hello!

Well... a minor miracle is occurring... I'm actually blogging more than once a week!  I was actually thinking of saving this for a future DT project but I just couldn't wait to share it. 

Jack and I recently had some work done on our house - including new siding & gutters... here's the before picture.... taken the last time Hels came for a visit and proudly sporting the Union Jack...


And here's the AFTER picture...


You may notice in the first picture that the mailbox (just to the left of the door) was a boring terra cotta color.  With the new siding (closely resembling *bundled sage* in color) - that terra cotta just did NOT work anymore... so I decided to alter it! 

I should preface this by saying this is one of the easiest projects EVER!  Here's your supply list...

White spray paint (outdoor)
Leaf/vine border stamp (Dylusions)
Black Staz-On ink
Two shades of green paint
Black PITT pen
Tim Holtz alpha parts

That's IT!

So here's the finished product...


So simple!  I spray painted the whole mailbox, inside and out, with two coats of white spray paint.  Once that dried, I used the leafy vine Dylusions border stamp to repeatedly stamp the same image all the way across the mailbox with black Staz-On ink.

Then used two shades of Paper Artsy's Fresco Finish paints - I used Guacamole and Toad Hall.  I understand that these paints are outdoor safe, so they're perfect for this project.


Then I outlined each vine/leaf with bold tip black PITT pen, not taking my time at ALL... intentionally being a little on the sloppy side - it actually looks *better* if it's not perfect!  Hard lesson to learn, but so true!

Finally - added some Tim Holtz alpha parts, spelling out VARGO.  Voila!


Hope you enjoyed this project - once the spray painting was done, the rest of it only took about an hour! 

As I type this, Hels is in the air flying to Baltimore!!!  She'll be here in just 3 short hours, and then we are off on a Wendy Vecchi adventure for the weekend!  Can't wait to see my friend... it stinks when one of your best friends lives so frikkin' far away!!!  But we have been SO fortunate to be able to see each other so often in the last year. 

We'll check in with updates on our awesome classes over the weekend - see you soon!

~ ellen.

9 comments:

craftimamma said...

I'm sure you two are going to have the most fabulous time and I'd love to be a fly on the wall as I bet it will be a laugh a minute too.

Love what you did to your mail box. it looks great against your new 'Bundled Sage' siding.

Lesley Xx

Candy C said...

LOVE LOVE your new mailbox!!! It is just so clever and fun! Love your Dy technique on the leaves. I would have recognized those anywhere!! I KNOW you're so excited to get Hels back in the US! You guys have a FABULOUS time this weekend at the Wendy classes!!! I will be thinking about you both, wishing I was there, but soo tickled that you're able to spend some good, quality inky time together. <3 Candy

Helen said...

What a great altered mailbox and your new look to your house looks great! Love that close to bundled sage colour! Have an amazing time with Hels and the Wendy class!

betjunroe said...

I love the "new" mailbox Ellen! Just shows what can be done with paint stamps and a great idea. Can't wait til Sat.!! Bette

Hels Sheridan said...

Well, I have seen it in person now and ... IT IS GORGEOUS.... the new siding looks fab, Bundled Sage is the perfect description! Now, I better a wiggle on, we have a date with THE Wonderful Wendy Vecchi... yeeehhhaaaaaa x

Lori said...

Great job Ellen! Love the vines, and so true about not being perfect! Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Kaz said...

Omg! I so want one of these!, totally rocks Ellen xxx

Dylan said...

Yee hah, that's frikkin awesome Princessa, just love it. xx

whyducks said...

Oh I want one!