Monday, October 31, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show - A House

Hello!

This week's theme on Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is to do a project with a House in it.  I have been wanting to do a metal piece with Tim Holtz's Artful Dwellings die for a while, and this was the perfect opportunity....


I started by covering two sheets of grungeboard with Ten Seconds Studio metal - barn red and bronzed god.  Then used the artful dwellings die to cut the houses out of both sheets.  I wanted my houses to have lots of texture so chose several different texture fade embossing folders, one for each house.


I added additional texture around the edges of each house with a texture wheel, and sanded the raised areas with a burnishing block.

Once the houses were laid out on the 6x12 canvas, it was time to start choosing embellishments!  I went NUTS!  Here's a list of embellishments used...

Bottle Cap Co. - mini bottle caps, mini cabochons, and birds and crowns
Tim Holtz Idea-ology - timepieces, pen nibs, game spinners, philosophy tags, long fasteners, hitch fasteners, ornate plates, alpha parts, mini lock, jump rings
7 Gypsies - antique silver dome studs, antique silver key
Industrial Chic embellishments by Susan Lenart Kazmer
White Gel pen - for stars
Denim paint dabber
Wood stars from woodcrafting section of local craft store

Here is a close up of each house so you can see the detail...








Hope you have enjoyed my project this week - I had such a great time making it! There are lots of options to do this project on a large scale, or a small scale with a single house.  Have fun playing!  And remember, if you do join in the fun, you'll have a chance to win a $50 shopping spree from Simon Says Stamp!



~ ellen.

16 comments:

Helen said...

Fantastic Ellen - love all the patterns and textures you have on your row of houses.

flutterbycrafter said...

Wow, wow, wow, words fail me, this is absolutely freaking fabulous

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

A masterpiece Ellen, I need me some of those industrial chic embellishments. I love all the texture on this piece, the metal looks fantastic you have executed it beautifully. Tracy x

Jo said...

WOW - I audibly gasped when I opened this post. These houses are stunning, love the texture, love the embellishments - gorgeous. jo xx

Nancy Wethington said...

Ellen, this is amazing! What you did with each house to build this village is so extraordinarily gorgeous. I love this piece!

Hels Sheridan said...

This truly is stunning... and I have to say having seen it in the real, the photo's don't do it proper justice... really folks, it is TO DIE FOR gorgeous :O)) hope you had a goodly weekend hun x

betjunroe said...

This is awesome Ellen! I bought the Artfull Dwelling die and couldn't decide what to do with it--now I know. This has such great detail and I love all the embellishments. Thanks for the inspiration! Bette

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Your houses are just superb, Ellen! I love embossed metal and what an amazing job you did here with all the textures and colors! I really like the twist of making a nighttime piece with the beautiful starry sky. Gotta love all the cool embellishments too! You totally ROCKED this challenge!

Have a great week!

Hugs,
Linda

Gillian .... said...

Hi Ellen ... Oooo this is utterly fab, love love love all the textured houses and all the cool embellishments you have used to decorate each and everyone ... Yet again you have rocked this theme. Hope you are well:) xx

Sarah said...

I think this is truly fabulous Ellen! I love all the variations in textures and colours and really like the shiny metal against the canvas and stars! Every embellishment is placed with real creative care and the ESV is a gem. A fantastic DT piece and artwork!!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Wowza! That texture is amazing. Love the way you've colored it... this is an awesome creation, Ellen!

L00py's Craft Creations said...

Very busy, would take hours to look at it properly, and feel it properly, wonderful, thanks for sharing it, xx

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Oh my goodness...what a beautiful piece, Ellen! I love all of the metals and the way you put the starry night together!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Shelly Hickox said...

Your piece is incredible as a whole, and even more amazing when you view each house individually. I am floored by your talent!! I just ordered the house die and can't wait to use it!

Wanda H said...

Outstanding!!! I need to get out my metal and play!!!!

DonnaMundinger said...

I am totally blown away by this! Tooo fabulous for WORDS! I'm going shopping, straight away! xxD