Monday, October 17, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show - Stripes!

Hi everyone!

This week's theme on Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is to do a project using STRIPES.  I'm not a huge fan of stripes myself, so this was indeed a challenge.... I am, however, becoming a big fan of collage work, so I decided to put a little twist on the stripes theme by using "strips" of paper as the background for this tag. 


I started with Basic Grey's Out of Print paper, added some of the amazing new seasonal distress inks to tone down and alter the paper colors.   Here's the finished project....


Then I added this long skinny sentiment stamp from Tim Holtz to a piece of handmade paper, tore the edges and distressed it with the new gathered twigs distress ink.  Then I used some Shabby Chic paper to cut some mini rosettes, again altering the color with the new ripe persimmon distress ink, and crushed olive distress ink.  I distressed the edges with gathered twigs distress ink.


Added another sentiment stamp from THIS set and cut up the words before adhering to the tag and altering with antique linen distress ink.  Outlined the words with a black pitt pen to make them stand out.


Finally, added some idea-ology, and some 7 Gypsies metal corners to finish off this cute tag! 

Hope you make some time to make some art this week and join in the fun.  As always, you'll have a chance to win a $50 shopping spree from Simon Says Stamp!


Have a great week!

~ ellen.

12 comments:

Helen said...

Love your strips, Ellen and the touches you have used are just great. Has Hels finished all her cheesy cheetos yet??!

Cath Wilson said...

Love, love, love that background effect. Must try that with stamping x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your take on the stripes with your strips of paper, very effective. Gorgeous tag. Hope you and Hels enjoyed the Wendy workshops. Tracy x

Gabrielle said...

Ellen this is just gorgeous! I love the idea of strips as stripes - very clever. Give my love to Hels! I hope she's sharing the Cheesy Chester Cheetos with you!

Marjie Kemper said...

Strips.... Stripes... you say Tomato....I say.... LOVE your tag, Ellen! Very clever twist on the challenge and it all comes together beautifully. Love all your hardware!

betjunroe said...

Hi Ellen. Love the rich colors on this one and now I know what I can do with my old paper! I so enjoyed seeing you again and meeting Hels, but was distressed that I forgot to get a pic of us (hopefully next time). Hope you're having a great time with Hels today!

Jo said...

Love the stripes, the papers and inks work really well together distinct but not too obvious. Is Hels behaving herself???? jo xx

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Bravo, Ellen! I love the way you created your stripes. It makes your tag so interesting. All the metal and that double rosette are wonderful too!

Hope you are having a great week.

Hugs,
Linda

Terry said...

Hey there Ellen, Love your take on the project for this weeks challenge, the colors are just great and that flower my goodness....it is ausumn....wow.....thank you for sharing your fabby project sweetie. Hugs Terry xxxx

Sarah said...

Very creative indeed on the stripes Ellen - a fabulous tag, wonderful embellishing and great colouring! Looks almost like your own version of tissue tape!

Kaz said...

Love this Ellen, fabulous as always xx

Kazx

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

What a fabulous idea to strip the paper and I love the way you traced the sentiment..very cool tag!! :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!