Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Inky Painty Layered Mini Book - Gelli Arts

Hi everyone!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving - last week I hinted that I had been playing with lots of inky painty layers with this amazing new product I discovered at The Queens Ink!  Thought I would show you what I'd been up to...

It's called the Gelli Arts Printing Plate.  They have a great website with some how-to videos and lots of samples in their gallery.  Check it out!  They have two sizes of the gel plates - 8x10 and 6x6 - I have the 8x10 size - that way I can do big or small projects.

I set out for pure play time, with a stack of #8 manila tags, my bag of crafter's workshop stencils, lots of acrylic paints (everything from cheap craft store paint, to Lumiere paints, to Golden fluid acrylics), some rubber stamps, a brayer, a craft scraper (or old credit / gift card) and some bubble wrap for stamping. 

Here are some of the finished tags... fronts and backs...



The key to this product is lots of layers and contrasting colors.  You can start out with a print you don't care for much, but when you keep adding more layers it often turns into a favorite! 

So... I did about 15 tags, both front and back... but then I thought... what am I going to do with them?  So I decided to trim the tops off the tags, fold them all in half, and make a mini book!  Imagine the art journaling possibilities!  Now.... if I could only find the will to do an art journal... perhaps a personal challenge for 2012... Anyway - here's the book and all the tags inside! 















So if you want to try some inky painty layered pages - check out Gelli Arts Printing Plates! The possibilities are literally endless!  If you want to see more - HERE is a link to their Facebook page.

Have a great day - I'll be back soon with some different painted book page projects... :) 

~ ellen.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Absolutely stunning - such fabulous designs, tones, layers, textures and ideas -you need to start designing wallpaper girl!

Nancy Kelley said...

Ellen, these are FABULOUS! I particularly love the mini-book - genius! That gorgeous book has "Ellen, 2012 Art Journal" written all over it :) Thanks for sharing and please feel free to share your prints as you do them - book or no book - they are always fun to see!
Nancy
Gelli Arts

Helen said...

I love that book... what a delight. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Martha Richardson said...

Oh boy...I'm going to have to go check these out. The book is fabulous!

Yours Artfully said...

I wondered how well this product worked....it obviously works extremely well,these are just gorgeous Ellen.I think I need to me me one of these guys!!!

Sending a hug from the UK.
L. x

Hels Sheridan said...

oohlalala, they are so gorgeous... I just cannot get my colours to look like that... 7 shades of ...erm.. mud for me lol x

Lynda said...

Really nice! And what a great idea to make them into a mini book!

Nancy Kelley said...

Ellen, I'm seriously considering making a book like this (not nearly as gorgeous) but I'm wondering if you have instructions somewhere on how to assemble it? The prints I have - the know-how to make a mini book I don't :) Appreciate if you can point me in the right direction...
Nancy

Vicki Romaine said...

Ellen,
I have my GP ordered. Hopefully it will be here Mon or Tues I have been looking at some of your creations. They are beautiful Question. Is it possible to print directly into a hard-back book or would you suggest glueing the pages onto the book pages? Any other suggestions / ideas?