Monday, November 21, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show - Tickets

Hello!

This week's theme on Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is to do a project using tickets.  So... of course the first thing that sprang to mind was Tim Holtz' adage and journaling tickets.... but I thought that was too obvious... so I further challenged myself to come up with another way. 

I remembered that a few months ago I bought a new ticket die with a matching stamp from Memory Box!  Perfect!  So I cut out five tickets, stamped with the matching stamp in coffee archival ink, and started antiquing them with distress inks (old paper, brushed corduroy and gathered twigs (from the autumn seasonal collection which is, sadly, no longer available), with just a hint of black soot on the edges). 


I've been doing so much with layering and stamping and painting lately that I wanted to do something very clean and simple.... so if these tickets look a bit plain... it was intentional... :)

The cover has an ornate plate with a TH ticket stamp from the 100th collection, distressed and coated with some rock candy crackle paint - you'll see a theme emerge with that below...

The remaining tickets have grungeboard elements, die cut with various movers and shapers dies - great for small projects, inked or stained in various ways, and all coated with rock candy crackle paint.  Each ticket also has one simple word stamped with a mini alphabet set.  See each photo below for the specifics.

mini flourish and mini butterfly movers & shapers dies, crushed olive stain, dried marigold & barn door stain, vermillion archival ink for polka dots stamp from mini grunge stamp set (TH)
mini heart movers and shapers die, barn door stain, ruler salvage sticker on grunge board
mini pine tree mover and shaper die, forest moss & pine needles stain, ruler salvage sticker on grunge board
mini branch and bird movers and shapers dies, brown paint dabber, white paint pen, weathered wood and brushed corduroy distress stain for bird
Hope you enjoyed this week's project, and remember... it doesn't always have to have a million layers to be beautiful... sometimes less really *is* more...

I enjoyed returning to a simple design this week, but fear not... I've spent the whole day doing LOTS of painty layers with this awesome new toy I got... check it out.... HERE.  All I can say is.... FUN! Paint + stencils + brayer + gelli arts = AWESOME!

If you have a chance to join in this week's challenge amidst all your Thanksgiving preparations (for my US friends), you'll be eligible for a chance to win a $50 shopping spree from Simon Says Stamp!


Have a great week... and Happy Thanksgiving!  (*gobble, gobble*)

~ ellen.

10 comments:

Helen said...

Great tickets, Ellen. Love the simplicity.

Nancy Wethington said...

Ellen, I adore this project. Didn't even know the ticket die and stamp exists and now I have to have it. Wonderful mini!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

LO e your tickets creation Ellen, love the simplicity, works perfectly. I love love the new toy, off to investigate more LOL. Tracy x

Candy C said...

Ellen...you said this piece was simple. I think it's fabulous!!! It says so much in such a small little group of tickets! I love each piece...truly beautiful! <3 Candy

Gillian .... said...

Hey Ellen, I love this ticket die ... very neat. Love the aged look, would be perfect to journal some notes in, as always inspirational projects. :) xx

Sarah said...

I love these! Very cool effects!
Sarah

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Wow, what a gorgeous ticket collection, Ellen! This would make a fab gift! I love the embossing and rich colors that you used :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Crafty mop said...

I don't think they look plain at all....the are fab er ooney ..love the coloring of them x

Kim Dellow said...

Just beautiful. Kim

Sarah said...

I think your ticket book is just perfect in every way - love the simplicity and design and think it works really well - not too simple or at all Ellen - a fab piece and a sweetie too!