Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Double Embossing - Tag 6

Hello!

Back again with Tag #6... Getting this one in late... it's my own fault... I decided to add an element with a thick layer of glossy accents, which of course takes a million years to dry... but I decided it was *dry enough* to photograph .... here we go...


Much as I hate to admit it... when I saw this morning's tag, I once again didn't *love* it... I suppose we all have our specific tastes when it comes to these things, but I remembered how yesterday's tag went, and that I loved it in the end, so I had to try it with my own spin....

I didn't have the embossing folder that Tim used, so I substituted with the other holiday folder, and added the swirls and snowflakes embossing folders as well.  Also, rather than using the bright colors that Tim used, I toned it down by using red pepper, juniper and cloudy blue paint dabbers.

Once I had the pieces embossed, sanded, and glued down to the tag, I used a Ten Seconds Studio texture wheel to add some detail between each word/section of the tag.  Then, I swiped over each element with a black paint dabber and wiped it away with a paper towel (technique courtesy of Lin Brown - thanks Lin!).  This gives a beautiful aged look to the metal and gives the appearance of shadows.


Then I used the clear embossing powder over the whole tag.  LOVE this technique! Never seen that done before and this is my favorite part of this project.  Great results!

My final addition was the ornate plate, which I also painted with juniper, cloudy blue and black paint dabbers and clear embossed.  Added "25" with alpha parts, painted with white paint dabber, and filled in the frame with glossy accents (which you'll notice is still not *quite* all the way dry, but...).

So... half way through this year's 12 Tags, and still managing to keep up.  The best part of this annual event for me is getting to see 12 days in a row of Tim's pure creativity.  Even if I don't love every tag he does, I always find an element that I DO love, and am inspired to try the project and make it my own.  Love that!

Hope you're having fun playing along!  See you tomorrow!

15 comments:

Marjie Kemper said...

Love the skinny detail strips you used to separate your sections. I too was skittish on today's tag but loved how it all came together at the end.

Anita Houston said...

This tag is absolutely stunning! I love the color and the frame is a great touch!

Helen said...

Love your take on this tag - I too was sceptical at first - but when you try it - it does work!! Wonder what today brings....

Juls said...

oooh wow this is stunning!!! Loving the metalic effect!!! Hugs Juls

craftimamma said...

Fabulous tag. I love embossing n metal and this shows it off at its best. Love the colours you've used too.

Hugs
Lesley XX

Candy C said...

You did a beautiful job on this tag, Ellen! I love the design and the colors, etc. Then to all the ornate plate to the top with "25" in the center....really cool looking! <3 Candy

Gabrielle said...

OMG! This is sooooooo cool! Love the 25 in the centre - bet Tim wishes he'd thought of that!

betjunroe said...

This is awesome, Ellen. I like the colors you chose for this tag better than Tim's, but we won't tell him! Bette

Sherry said...

I think this is so pretty - I like your colors & the idea to use the texture wheel too

Julia Aston said...

Love the colors and embossings you used on your tag - that 25 medallion is wonderful! Sounds like most of us weren't in love with Tim's colors but also looks like many lovely creations were made from the inspiration!

Yoli said...

Luv your tag more than his! LOL

Lori said...

I LOVE it Ellen! Wonderful idea!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A wonderful tag, your background looks fabulous.

Shelley said...

I was thinking the same thing, wasn't loving the tag(from Tim) but I LOVE yours!!!

misstreez said...

You rtag turned oout beautifully. Ilike the colours you use and the TSS wheel for added texture between the different elements.