Well, I survived my busy day yesterday - had a lovely visit with my Mom and got to see the amazing train layout at the community where she lives. Jack was in *heaven* !! Then I headed out to pick up my nieces... they were kind enough to come with me to see Breaking Dawn: Part 1 (they're 14 and 16 yrs old, so you can imagine it was a real struggle for them to come along... NOT! LOL!) We had an awesome time, and all really liked the movie - we all agreed that we wanted to see *more* of the honeymoon part... heehee!
And this morning there was another gorgeous tag from Tim Holtz waiting for us! I can't believe we're already up to Tag 11, which means... so sadly... tomorrow will be the grand finale of this years 12 Tags of Christmas. I've really enjoyed ALL of the tags this year, and mostly enjoyed the process of making something every day! Here we go with tag #11... LOTS of differences from Tim's...
I absolutely loved the shrink plastic/UTEE idea, so I latched on to that part right away. However... I wasn't feeling inspired with the bright/retro colors Tim used, and I didn't have the Santa or the greeting he used, so I just went in a totally different direction...
For my background, I used the woodgrain texture fade embossing folder. I inked the whole tag with antique linen DI first, then inked the folder with brushed corduroy DI and ran it through the Vagabond. After that I inked the whole tag again with frayed burlap DI to blend the colors a bit more. Then I smeared a thin layer of rock candy distress stickles over the entire tag and set it aside to dry.
As I said... I loved the shrink plastic idea, so I used Tim's technique from the video for the holly leaves and branch. I took it a step further and added some white acrylic paint and picket fence distress stickles to the edges for a snowy look. I also used the idea an earlier tag for the berries - pearl baubles with red pepper alcohol ink, set into the leaves with a hot glue gun.
I loved the shiny holly leaves so much that I decided to do a BIG version, too! I die cut the branch and leaves out of grungeboard, painted with gold paint dabber, and then alcohol inked with lettuce and pesto inks. They gave each leaf two heavy coats of UTEE (not in the melt pot... just used embossing ink first, then 2 coats of UTEE melted with a heat gun).
Here's another shot which shows the beautiful shine of the UTEE leaves.
So that gets us through the main tag.... however... I also did the mini tags shown on Tim's blog, too! I die cut a whole load of images out of shrink plastic, coated them in UTEE in the melt pot, and alcohol inked them. As Tim said, after the alcohol ink is dried, it helps to give a coat of a light colored paint to the back so the alcohol ink really "pops". I decided to use GOLD paint and this gives a GORGEOUS metallic sheen, similar to the metallic ornaments with made with facets yesterday... Here's the results - lots of pics....
And here's the weathered clock die... all shrunk down... this one was REALLY tricky... so many little holes that the UTEE just pooled in... so after the initial coat of UTEE dried, I used my heat gun to re-heat and get the excess UTEE to melt away - PERFECT!
I layered the clock on top of the gears to see what it would look like... not bad! Didn't glue it down (yet), but I like it!
Well... that's day 11 folks! Can't wait to see what Tim comes up with for Day 12! Stay tuned!