Monday, December 12, 2011

I Finished! Tag #12

Hello!

Well, I'm happy and sad... happy that I was able to stay on track and do each tag on the day it was posted, but oh so sad that this years 12 Tags of Christmas has come to an end.  This annual event has turned in to a real tradition for me, and I always enjoy seeing what Tim will come up with.  What a treat! 12 straight days of pure creativity from Tim.  As I've said before, I don't always love everything about every tag, but I *always* find a technique or other element that I *do* love, and enjoy the challenge of making them with my own twist or touch.  Here we go with Tag #12...


Once again, there were several elements that I had to improvise for.  I didn't have Tim's new tissue paper, so I used 7 gypsies tissue paper instead - worked fine, just has more of a kraft colored tone, rather than white, but with an additional coat of picket fence distress stain, it helped tone it down a bit.


I did the dwelling house the same as Tim, but didn't have the "fractured doll" that Tim used... sorry... not a fan... so used a die cut reindeer instead.  I coated the reindeer with picket fence stain and then gave it another coat with brushed corduroy distress stain.  Having the white stain underneath makes the color on top much lighter than normal and gives it a chalky appearance.  I added a coat of rock candy distress stickles on the reindeer as well.


Didn't think Tim's sentiment went with my images, so chose to use "silent night" instead, and used alpha parts swiped with white paint dabber, rather than Tim's die cut letters, which I didn't have.  I also had to improvise on the tissue flower, but as luck would have it, I just bought a set of pre-made tissue flowers by Basic Grey from the new Little Black Dress collection - perfect!  Once again, I didn't have the lace trim die, so used the "on the edge-pinking" die instead and then pierced tiny holes in each tip with a needle.  Didn't have silver tinsel so used white roses from Tim's trimmings collection.

Decided to put the snowflake adornment at the top of the house rather than dangling from the top of the tag, and added a pearl bauble instead.  The last improvisation came by using a pearl pen for the trim around the edges, rather than platinum stickles. 

I think the thing I'm most proud of with this year's 12 Tags is that I didn't buy ONE thing specifically for the tags!  Nope!  I managed to stay away from the craft stores, both local and online.  Because mostly, when I've done this in the past, and trust me I have, I'll buy something for the 12 tags and then never use it again.  This year proved that you CAN make beautiful tags that are slightly, or in some cases, not-so-slightly different than Tim's, have a TON of fun doing it, and not spend a lot of extra money in the process!  CHA is around the corner and I'm quite sure there will be lots of new things I'll want... saving my $$$ for that!

It's been nice blogging every day (sometimes more than once a day) for the last 12 days... but I expect that trend will not continue for a while... I've got a lot to do to get ready for Christmas, and lots of things going on at work, so.... until next time... happy crafting! 

Thanks for stopping by and sharing the joy of this year's 12 Tags...

~ ellen.

7 comments:

Helen said...

I love your version of day 12 - the reindeer is perfect (wondering why I didn't use that - which I did buy specially, but I will use it!!) It has been great seeing everyone's interpretation of these tags. What shall we do next???!!

Kirsten Alicia said...

Hi Ellen, your tag is lovely, the reindeer looks wonderful.

betjunroe said...

Love your version of the tag Ellen! I'm also not a fan of the doll, but I do love the reindeer. Great use of your stash! Bette

Candy C said...

Ellen...your tag is really pretty! You have a great "take" on Tim's Day 12 tag. I've got to get my behind in gear and finish up my Christmas shopping and then wrap everything! So, I can identify with your last paragraph!! haha Love your tag! <3 Candy

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Your tag is just gorgeous, Ellen. The colors are beautiful and I really like that you didn't use the frozen doll - she just creeps me out! Love the Silent Night too.

Congrats on finishing all 12!! This is my first year and I have had such a blast taking part - not quite done yet, but I will finish by the closing date. You did good too, not giving in to the temptation to buy new stuff - I wasn't that successful on holding out :) and treated myself to 5 new dies since I didn't have any of his holiday ones.

Hope your week is off to a great start!

Hugs,
Linda

Hels Sheridan said...

oh how I wish I had had chance to play... I have all the "kits" for each day ready... and... THANK YOU.. I was puzzling over what to use for the letters on this tag... mwah, Alpha's... of course!!! Another fabbydoodles tag hun xx

Juls said...

these are fabulous! Hugs Juls