Monday, December 5, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show - Elements of Time

Hi everyone!

I was so excited when I found out this week's theme on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge - TIME... I love clocks and watches so this was right up my alley.  We put our Christmas tree up the week after Thanksgiving so my Christmas Spirit has kicked in... so, naturally, I wanted to do a Christmas themed project.  Here we go...


I started with the Studio 490 art parts pocket watches (both large and small).  I covered the center cutout from the large art pocket watch with with paper from seasonal paper stack, and then gave it a coat of rock candy crackle paint.  Then I used the weathered clock die cutting it out of grungeboard, painted with black paint dabber, then using my finger to swipe gold paint dabber over that.  Adhered to the center cutout.  I attached the hands of the clock with idea-ology gears.

I painted the base and the top frame with gold paint dabber, pouncing on the paint so it leaves peaks, which I then highlighted with black archival ink.  I sandwiched the center cutout between the base and the frame (the weathered clock die is slightly larger that the cutout... see side view...


I added a Christmas muse token, "25" plaquette, some antique brass chain, a rhinestone brad from Jennie Bowlin, and an antique brass key (eBay find...). And of course, stamped the sentiment with a mini alpha set.



On the small pocket watch, I painted the base with black paint dabber, and lightly swiped white paint dabber over the top in streaks.  I added a distressed timepiece to the center, and a game spinner painted with gold paint dabber.  The frame is painted with gold paint dabber, with black ink over the peaks.  



I had a blast with this week's project!  Hope you get a chance to play along and have a chance at winning a $50 shopping spree from Simon Says Stamp!  Free stash at this time of year is definitely a good thing! 


Have a great week!

~ ellen.

11 comments:

Helen said...

So many jokes about hoping to have time to play.... Love your pocket watches, they look fab!!

Hels Sheridan said...

oooh this is totally GORGEOUS *I sang that!* Loving the mix of both sizes of Pocket Watch... and wow, the clock fits in it perfectly... never knew that!!! Lotsa love hun xx

Nancy Wethington said...

I hope Wendy sees this. It is so wonderful! Love this piece!

Ellie said...

THIS IS A MASTERPIECE!!!

I became a follower, and in future I am going to mention your blog on mine with a link to yours, if that's OK with you!!??

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous creation, love how you used the small and large pocket watch and the gold with black touches is perfect. Beautifully embellished. Tracy x

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh, Ellen, this is fantastic! Who knew the weathered clock is the perfect fit for Wendy's watch? You did! Wow, there is so much beauty on this piece. Love it!

Candy C said...

Ellen, your Art Parts watch is really really REALLY wonderful! Everything about this is just fabulous...all of your technique in coloring the clock itself, the design and all of the little details like the "25" Plaquette, the Weathered Clock interior and key and chain. It is just a fabulous piece! I love it! <3 Candy

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This is just terrific, Ellen! I love how you introduced gold into the design and all the ways you used it, especially pouncing/blackening it! Love the Christmas time theme too!

Hugs,
Linda

Gillian .... said...

Hey Ellen, Inspirational hun, love how you have combined the large & the small pocket watches together. The red/gold & crackle looks fabby. xx

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Gorgeous piece, Ellen! I really love the copper and the elements and embellishments you used...fabby detail!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Sarah said...

This is totally lovely - all over. Duh - I didn't even know there was a big watch - double duh.
You have such an original and wonderful style - all your own Ellen. I love your colors and details and think it's a truly great festive creation!