Monday, December 12, 2011

Simon Says Stamp and Show - Some Dimension!

Hello!

This week's theme on Simon Says Stamp and Show has me really excited... I've been wanting to tackle a Configurations project for a *long* time, and this has given me the perfect opportunity!  I've done some printer's trays and ATC trays, which gives a little bit of extra dimension, but the Configurations boxes give you a LOT of room to work with!  It's a little overwhelming at first, but once you start thinking "outside the box" (hahaha... bad pun...) the world becomes full of Configurations possibilities!  And off we go...

 
I started with a medium configurations, and rather than leaving all the boxes inside the frame, I took 4 out and attached them on either side.  
 
 
I used christmas kraft resist paper, seasonal paper from Tim Holtz, tissue tape, and 7 gypsies antique brass corners to line and wrap the piece.  Tim Holtz has 2 excellent videos on Configurations, and they saved me a ton of time trying to figure them out.... hope it helps you!  They will definitely get you started and take some of the mystery out of Configurations.
 
 
Then I had to fill it with lots of yummy embellishments and knick-knacks.  But where to start?  Well... I made a few really cool discoveries... 1st... ornaments sold for *mini* Christmas trees will fit in a Configurations compartment!  Like the snowflake and stocking below...
 
 
 
2nd... and this was really fun... my husband is a model train fanatic and has drawers and drawers full of mini sized things for his train boards.  I raided the mini fence/gate, reindeer, both the large and small snowy pine trees, lamp posts, mail/post box.

 



I hope you have a chance over the holidays to tackle a Configurations project - it's a great challenge, and can be used for any theme or occasion - let your imagine run wild!  And have FUN!

But remember... you don't have to tackle a project this big to join in this weeks challenge - any project with some dimension is great!  Maybe you want to try one of Tim Holtz' 12 Tags of Christmas, using that fab new pine cone die!  Just have a good time.  As always, Simon Says Stamp is offering up a $50 shopping spree if you join in and link your project on the challenge blog! 


See you soon!

~ ellen.

16 comments:

Adventures in Arts and Crafts said...

Wow-ee. This is great! I love that you moved some boxes outside...I so want to use the obvious pun, but will refrain. I made a configurations for Halloween and loved it; have a mini-one set aside for Christmas. Yours is a wonderful inspiration.

Helen said...

This looks amazing! I love the shape you created with the boxes outside the main one. You got me thinking too - my late dad had (has) loads of miniature railway things,.... next time I go down to the house I must check out the garage!

Juls said...

wow wow wowzer!!!! This is just AMAZING!!!! Hugs Juls

Izzwizz said...

Hi Ellen, this is fantastic! Love all the little details (and I love your blog header too!). Thank you so much for the video links too. It might just be the impetus I need for this week's challenge :-)

Nancy Wethington said...

WOW! So beautiful and detailed. I have to study each tiny cubicle. Love the itsy pine cones and the fence with the gate and those tiny bottles and . . . ALL of it is gorgeous!

Candy C said...

Ellen...you were really inspired when you put together this beautiful Christmas configuration box. It truly is breathtaking. I absolutely LOVE everything about it...especially the little fenced in reindeer and tree, the lit Christmas tree with the hanging snowflakes and the optical lens with Tim's Christmas Adormnent wreath on it. Every compartment is so darling and I LOVE Tim's Seasonal Stash paper you used as the background for each compartment! You outdid youself, my friend. It is AMAZING and something I know you'll treasure. <3 Candy
PS-My grandson would go NUTS over your train at the top! :)

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous Ellen, I love love that little fence/gate and reindeer . How lucky are you to have a hubby with all those perfectly mini sized pieces. I love how you placed some of your boxes outside, looks great. Beautifully embellished. Enjoy your week. Tracy x

The Sparkly Fairy said...

Wow! I absolutely love this! How incredible. My boxes are still in the drawer waiting for me to do something with it, this has inspired me!

DeeDee said...

Wow Wow wow!!! Isn't the model train area WONDERFUL?!? I often find myself checking out what's in the quarter machines, too.. ;)

Sherry Edwards said...

It's absolutely wonderful! What a feast for the eyes - I particularly love the bottom right box with the little fence - so much detail - so much to look at. My husband is a railway modeller too .... now you've given me an idea - LOL :)

Kirsten Alicia said...

Oh my goodness, that is STUNNING!!! Every detail is perfect.

Vicki B in WNY said...

I feel like a kid looking into a department store window at Christmas! This is more than wonderful, it's STUPENDOUS!

Gillian .... said...

Holy Moly Ellen ... this is FAN-Frikkin-Tastic , truly inspiring project, it has blown me away, love love love all the festive details especially the Ideaology wreath behind the optical lense .... ooooo I'm well and truly drooling lol. xxx

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

I am just gaga over your configurations box, Ellen! All of your embellishments are just so retro cool. Using that Christmas Kraft Resist paper was the perfect touch. You found some really wonderful items to place in the boxes too - my favorite is the gate - love it. Your piece was such an inspiration to me as I struggled to put mine together. Thanks for the UTube links to TH's tutorials - wish I had seen them BEFORE I made my box - LOL! You definitely rocked this challenge!

Hugs,
Linda

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Oh my goodness Ellen this is fabulous! I really felt like I went through a time portal for a second when looking at this piece, the retro touches are gorgeous and I love the vial labeled 'Christmas Spirit'...too cute!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Hels Sheridan said...

OMG... this has to be the most stunning configurations box I have ever seen.... it is just totally awesome...and so much to look at without it being too overloaded... and I especially lurve that train on top... looks like the Hogwarts Express! Gotta say it... it is...

AMAZEBALLS!!!!!

TFS... am inspired to go and get my one made... you know, that one I was s'posed to do last year lol

xxx