Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Getting Dylusional Again...

Hello!

Hope everyone is having a great week - things are a little crazy at my day job at the moment, but I've been having a blast making art lately, and that helps me keep my balance...

As I mentioned last time, I spent last weekend with 6 of my artsy BFF's.  Twice a year we rent out a lodge and spend the whole weekend making art - (affectionately known by me as "Stamp Camp" - but it is FAR from camping).  It is SO good for my soul!  What could be better.... awesome friends, awesome art, lots of laughter, great meals (that we don't even have to cook!)... life is good....

One of the projects I made over the weekend was another Dylusions Printer's Tray!  I've made a few varieties of these in the last several months, but just couldn't resist the urge to make another!  Perhaps it's because I just found out that Dyan Reaveley (a.k.a. "Her Royal Gorgeousness") is coming back to teach at The Queen's Ink right after CHA!  (and you know I'm signed up for ALL the classes!)

Here's the results...


Sorry about the somewhat blurry pic - difficult to shoot a large piece in less-than-ideal light... I've got some close ups below that are much clearer...

I started by taking one sheet of Canson multi media paper, 11 x 14, cutting it in half, and then sprayed each piece with different color combinations of Dylusions spray inks (sadly, these sprays are in the "not available anywhere zone", as the entire line has ended in the UK and is making it's debut with Ranger at next week's CHA show).  I LOVE the bright vibrant colors - I'm soooo hoping that the new line with Ranger will have these awesome colors, too! 


Then I got out some of my stencils (I used harlequin and swiss dots from Crafter's Workshop, and an alpha stencil I got at Michael's), and started spraying ink and scraping gesso through various patterns to create interesting textures on each page.  The last step to the backgrounds was spritzing each side with perfect pearl mists - I used mint and forever blue.


Then I had to measure and cut up both sheets to fit in each of the little section of the printers tray.  I jumbled up the patterns as I cut so there is lots of variation from section to section.  This takes a bit of time and careful measuring, but it is so worth it!


Once all the pieces were cut to fit, I laid them out on my craft sheet in order and stamped the leafy border around the entire piece - all the way across the bottom with leaves growing up and all the way across the top with leaves growing down). This was the beginning of bringing some cohesion to the jumbled up pieces.


I painted in all the leaves with perfect pearls paint (just spray some water on your craft sheet and add perfect pearls pigment powders in colors of your choice - makes a wonderful pearlescent paint!) I used patina green and forever red).  I sketched around all the leaves with a white gel pen (Gelly Roll white by Sakura) and accented each leaf with a highlight.


Then the real fun began! Choosing stamped images to fit in all the sections!  I stamped each image (all from the Dylusions line) on white card stock in jet black archival (except the girl with red glasses... stamped her with Vermillion archival ink).  All the images were painted in with either distress stains or dylusions spray inks, then cut out and adhered to the section background.  I love overlapping a large image over several sections - it gives nice movement and helps more with that whole idea of "cohesion". 


I added stickles to some images (mushrooms, cuffs of the pointing hands, and hat of red glasses girl), accented others with glossy accents (hearts, red glasses), and used a copper pearl pen to fill in the "dreadlocks" of the girl on the right.  Accented lots of the images with more white gel pen, and traced around everything with a black pitt pen.


This was definitely a labor of love, as I am totally *in love* with Dylusions stamps and sprays!  I can't wait to see what Dyan has in store for us at CHA - can't believe it starts next week!  I started this project on Friday afternoon and finished on Saturday before dinner.... so all told... about 20 hours.  EEK!  That's probably why I waited to do this project at our art retreat - a whole weekend of dedicated time with no distractions!  Hope you enjoyed it!

I'll be back soon with pix of the other project I did at "Stamp Camp".  'Til then....

~ ellen.

23 comments:

Hels Sheridan said...

Wow girlie, this is totes-amazeballs... all those little details... tis one of those pieces that I just want to stare at for several hours.... so gonna have to make that happen soon!!!!!!! Love ya xxx

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh, Ellen, it's FANTASTIC! What a totally fun and fabulous piece of wall art. Love it! I'm committed to getting myself to Dyan's classes while she's here... either in MD or MA. Hope to get to meet you, too!

She said...

Oh Ellen this is gorgeous, so vibrant...love it! S x

Helen said...

What an amazing project! I love it - Dyan's stamps are so quirky - wish I could get a load of them! The background paper is fantastic - bet it would have made a great picture even before you cut it up!

betjunroe said...

Wow Ellen this is fantastic! I just love all the color--it is so cheerful. You worked really hard on this. This is something that will give you inspiration whenever you see it. Bette

Candy C said...

Oh Ellen...this is DY-Namic! I love it ALL!!! Such cool, vibrant colors and wonderful colorized stamped images!!! You took that plain old black printer tray and turned it into a really COOL piece of art! I love it! From the looks of this piece...you could be teaching Dyan's classes after CHA! :) LOVE this! <3 Candy

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous creation Ellen, love the range of colours and the depth, lovely backgrounds coupled with great quirky images. A wonderful keepsake, beautifully executed. Tracy x

Kirsten Alicia said...

Wow, that's completely & stunningly GORGEOUS!!!!

Yoli said...

Absolutely beautiful! The colors are so cheerful . . . the art is stunning and deciding to display it in a printer's tray . . . very clever!

Lori said...

Wow, totally ultra cool piece! Love all the funkiness and bright colors, well done!

Caz said...

Absolutely fantastic!!!
The detail is amazing, each tome you look, you spot something you missed before.
Brilliant piece of artwork
xx

Dylan said...

whey hey you gorgeously gorgeous bundle of gorgeousness, only two weeks left until I claim you as My Princess Bi-atch again, lol. Loving the tray, it's fabulous, soooooo much work, you put me to shame. Can't wait to see you, made something special for you mwah xxx

Sherri Caramico said...

WOWZERS!! THIS IS PURE HOTNESS! LUV IT! Thanks for the inspiration!

Weasel said...

Stunning - I love this!

Heidi said...

WOW.....Gorgeous!!!!!
I love the colors, it's just fantastic :))))))

hug, Heidi:)

Brit Sviggum said...

WOW! This is amazing! I am speechless! What a talent!!!!

Gillian .... said...

Hey Ellen, you have blown this Dylusions project off the planet woman ... OMG this is utterly A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

I'm good hun, just not enough hours in the day :) xx

Salamanda's Scrappy Adventures said...

Oh I love this - amazing. I also Ranger keeping the bright coloured inks as I am running out and don't know what to do when they finish as only sprays that always work. Keep looking at your piece as just live it.

Salamanda's Scrappy Adventures said...

That would be love it...

Kathi said...

Wow!!! A lot of work,but a truly wonderful piece.

I didn't know that Dyan was coming to teach at Queen's Ink. It would be worth the 3.5 hour trip!

Unknown said...

I like what you guys are up also. Such intelligent work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I've incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it'll improve the value of my website :)
Koolatron IO51G- Ionic Pet Brush w Massage Gift Box

Allycat x said...

Just found this post and wow! and I mean WOW! I have two very similar trays which I've had for a long time and now I finally have some inspiration for one of them! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! xxx

ellen vargo said...

Thanks Allycat... can't wait to see what you do!